Replacing water shutoff valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
I want to replace this water shutoff valve.

Are these compression nut style fittings i can loosen off the existing shutoff valve? Loosening the compression nut while holding the shutoff valve with a second wrench?

It looks like someone soldered right above the top compression nut.

I am afraid of twisting the copper pipe.

IMG_3557.jpg

Doesn't look like compression fittings. Looks like someone spun two male adapters into the fitting and then solder them in. Going to need to cut it out if you want to replace it.

That is a threaded valve with sweat male adapters soldered into it. If you want to do yourself, cut the valve out and sharkbite in the new.

Make sure you shut the water off at the meter when you do.

Well what fun is that. We call that dust control.

Shark bites suck in my opinion

Not everyone is comfortable sweating pipe. Which is my preferred method. But compared to compression or threaded adapters I would pick S/B over either of those.

In my experience I have not seen that happen. I have asked coworkers and friends the same. Still nothing. But I digress, it's not my first option.

So I looked at some more shutoff valves in my condo. They seem to be sweated on as well.

An o ring is a petroleum based product that will eventually wear out
I just finished a 25,000 remodel on a house where one came apart in the attic that was not seated all the way in
That enough is a concern that I won't use them other than a temporary fix

Seems like the valves throughout my apartment are sweated on:

Kitchen sink
67d961d197068aea8151e7d3365398b7.jpg

Washing machine:
0fd1e56df2512e6719cb70960ade7510.jpg

2nd bathroom --> this maybe threaded??
71a4eea8e8de3ba713f6f8aae51d39e8.jpg

Back