Connecting additional shower drain to an existing tub drain.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
Redoing the bathroom

The existing bathroom had a double sink, toilet and tub. I ripped out a corner closet and i want to add a custom shower and center drain tub and install a new double sink and toilet. See first picture.

I think I can reposition the the new center drain tub to use the old tub's drain with the correct attachments. See 'T' in the second picture.

My question is can I attach my new shower drain to the existing tub drain? Will this give adequate drain flow.

This is my understanding of the steps:
1. Cut up floorboard area needed to access drain pipes with circular saw
2. Center drill joists with hole saw bit. The joists (12" x 3") run at a 45 degree angle to my bathroom.
3. Reinforce joists with sister joists.
4. Install shower drain pipe dropping 1/4" every 12" to the tub drain. Provide proper support for pipes.
5. Put the correct connector piece on tub drain. I believe its a Wye connection. I think I need to install the Wye connection past the tubs trap. See 'X' on the second picture.
6. Test it

Now I need to vent the new shower drain. Is simply connecting the shower drain to the tub drain adequate venting? Meaning now the tub and shower drain share the tub's original vent line See 'V' in second picture. Or should I install a Tee or Wye further up the tubs vent line and attach the shower vent? See 'Y' in the third picture.

Thanks guys.

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3536 (1).PNG

Last edited:
sorry this is a duplicate. Can a admin please delete this. Thanks

Sounds like a lot of work, good luck to you.

Updated with full description and added pics.

Latest posts

Back