lavatory faucets: ceramic cartridges vs washerless cartridges; worth the extra $?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking at several faucets for my new bathroom vanities and am on a very tight budget. My first-choice faucet (by Kingston Brass), in terms of style and size (extra long spout reach) and price (on ebay!) only comes with a washerless cartridge (I looked it up in their parts catalog and it is plastic with a brass stem and rubber washers.) it is solid brass though, with a nickel finish.
I can get the same style with a ceramic cartridge, under an affiliate of this company (Princeton Brass) for about $50 more each (and I need two, so it is a total of $100 more.) Is it really worth it to pay that much more for a ceramic cartridge?
Thanks!

By the way, I do NOT like any of the lower-priced styles (too clunky, too modern, or the spout reach is just oo short) available from the mainstream American name brand companies. The only styles I like from them are waaaay too expensive for me--even on ebay. (I also have to buy a matching Roman Tub faucet as well!)
Thanks in advance.

Fun2Learn, do you have a link to any of the faucets that you really like that are too pricey?
That can give us a general idea of what style you like and then maybe we can help you find a similar style with ceramic cartridges.

There are a number of different sites I bookmarked to look for stuff and if it is carried by one of the big box stores for higher price, sometimes they will match the online price.

Fun2Learn, do you have a link to any of the faucets that you really like that are too pricey?
That can give us a general idea of what style you like and then maybe we can help you find a similar style with ceramic cartridges.

There are a number of different sites I bookmarked to look for stuff and if it is carried by one of the big box stores for higher price, sometimes they will match the online price.

Thanks, Zanne. Here is a link to the style I am going for: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Weymo...Widespread-WaterSense-Bathroom-Faucet/3581882

However, this one is similar, but much, much cheaper, LOL http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ultra-Fa...Up-Drain-in-Brushed-Nickel-15710098/205212024
My only problem with this one from HD is that I can't find a matching roman tub faucet for it! (or even one that is very close in style.)
Thanks!

Yikes. Weymouth one is really pricey. Even the chrome one is over $300. Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to pay that.

Is the Moen Banbury too simple?

Also, the coordinating Roman Tub faucet for the one from Home Depot is called Ultra Faucets UF65043 (from Amazon) if you want a handheld shower with it and Ultra Faucets UF65003 without the handheld shower.

Glacier Bay makes a similar style roman faucet with handheld shower. It has ceramic cartridges and is $140.61 @HD.
tumblr_omm5bbDlnR1qhfuqwo1_1280.jpg

Coordinating lav faucet is this.
tumblr_omm5bbDlnR1qhfuqwo2_1280.jpg

I don't know about the quality on the Ultra Faucets or Glacier Bay though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back