Dropping the large self-feeds

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorkingStiff

Reaction score
In the past I used a 2 1/8" self-feed for 1 1/2" ABS, now that I have a set of Blue Boar TCT's carbide hole saw bits that is no longer the case. These things cut through studs like butter and I can stay cordless without having to pull out that heavy ass Hole Hawg. I will probably stay with self-feeds and augers below 1 1/2 but anything larger and it is carbide hole saws for me. You guys the same? or sticking with the self-feeds?

Last edited:
For a hole or a few holes here and there, I will often grab the hole cutters, such as Milwaukee's Bighawg or similar. But for lots of holes cut cleanly without having to mess around with getting the core plugs out, and not having to put any pressure on the drill, nothing I have found beats a self feed powered by a Milwaukee SuperHawg.

For a hole or a few holes here and there, I will often grab the hole cutters, such as Milwaukee's Bighawg or similar. But for lots of holes cut cleanly without having to mess around with getting the core plugs out, and not having to put any pressure on the drill, nothing I have found beats a self feed powered by a Milwaukee SuperHawg.

Are you running the cordless SuperHawg? Just curious, been eyeing that one.

No, but I definitely have my eye on that as well!

The problem is, I don't really need it. My regular 18V drill does well enough for repipes and such.

If I were ever to get back into roughing in new houses a lot, I would probably get it. But then again, my inverter and battery bank on my truck has no problem running my corded SuperHawg.

Latest posts

Back