Condensation on outside of toilet tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterOfNone

Reaction score
Is this normal? Maybe I just never noticed it before. The lower third of my toilet tank is covered in condensation.

It makes sense: the water in the tank is colder than the bathroom air and is cooling the ceramic. But then why aren't toilet tanks known for being covered in condensation? I'd have noticed it earlier anyway. And why is it just the lower third of mine?

Water enters the tank at the bottom of the fill valve is most likely why condensation is only on the bottom third of the tank. If it becomes an issue, they have tanks with an inner styrofoam liner so that doesn't happen.

Water enters the tank at the bottom of the fill valve is most likely why condensation is only on the bottom third of the tank. If it becomes an issue, they have tanks with an inner styrofoam liner so that doesn't happen.

Let me know if I'm understanding right: the water is colder near the bottom of the tank, creating condensation on the outside, whereas near the top of the tank it's able to warm up closer to room temperature.

That's helpful to know. What about my other question: Is this normal?

Let me know if I'm understanding right: the water is colder near the bottom of the tank, creating condensation on the outside, whereas near the top of the tank it's able to warm up closer to room temperature.

That's helpful to know. What about my other question: Is this normal?

Not sure if it's normal, I live in Southern California so I don't deal with condensation. I put "most likely" in my previous post because I was theorizing. A lot of toilets don't remove all the water from the tank when they flush. As the cold water enters at the bottom, the room temp water will rise in the tank. Cold water at bottom will condensate. Again, just a theory.

I lived in an old house with no central air. This was a very common occurrence in my home.

Back