Proper way to Tee a gas line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vakil01

Reaction score
I have a gas water heater, and an electric clothes dryer next to it. I want to install a new gas clothes dryer.

The gas pipe comes out of the wall, there is a valve, and the water heater is connected to the end of that valve. My idea is to put a Tee past the valve, and connect the gas water heater to one leg and the gas clothes dryer to the other leg.

Is this correct? Or do I need a separate valve for each leg of the Tee? I am also assuming that since these are gas lines I would use plumbing thread seal rather than teflon tape.

Thanks for your help!

IMO gas should never be a DIY. The gas line needs to be proper size feeding water heater and dryer. If you have only one half inch line you want to tee off of, it's probably not going to work.

I have a gas water heater, and an electric clothes dryer next to it. I want to install a new gas clothes dryer.

The gas pipe comes out of the wall, there is a valve, and the water heater is connected to the end of that valve. My idea is to put a Tee past the valve, and connect the gas water heater to one leg and the gas clothes dryer to the other leg.

Is this correct? Or do I need a separate valve for each leg of the Tee? I am also assuming that since these are gas lines I would use plumbing thread seal rather than teflon tape.
Each appliance needs its own cutoff valve (gas cock), but there's nothing wrong with having an additional valve upstream. Avoid removing the old valve. Add a T and 2 new gas cocks. Use black iron pipe for the T, and use 2 wraps of yellow gas-approved Teflon tape. Check your work for leaks with a soapy water spray bottle.
There are additional considerations when installing a gas dryer, the exhaust ducts, etc. Read up on it. Here's the procedure.
Over here, the gas company will come out and check your work for free. If you're squeamish, it’s worth a call.

Here's a pic of a similar job done by a know-it-all who feigns superiority by advocating against doing jobs.
waxahachie-house-explosion-1.jpg

Each appliance needs its own cutoff valve (gas cock), but there's nothing wrong with having an additional valve upstream. Avoid removing the old valve. Add a T and 2 new gas cocks. Use black iron pipe for the T, and use 2 wraps of yellow gas-approved Teflon tape. Check your work for leaks with a soapy water spray bottle.
There are additional considerations when installing a gas dryer, the exhaust ducts, etc. Read up on it. Here's the procedure.
Over here, the gas company will come out and check your work for free. If you're squeamish, it’s worth a call.

Here's a pic of a similar job done by a know-it-all who feigns superiority by advocating against doing jobs.

Nothing wrong with having it up stream if the gas pipe size is correct for the BTU the dryer and water heater are carrying.

[/QUOTE

Look man I don't know what your problem is with me. I know you threw that little comment in about not knowing and advising against it. Gas isn't something to play with. BTW what is your experience? Why are you so mean.

It was an accident ! I swear !!

When I turned the main gas back on I forgot to close a gas cock that wasn't connected to the appliance. Then I got a phone call. I left because my wife wrecked her car. I think when the UPS guy showed up and rang the door bell, is when it got ugly.

Latest posts

Back