How is Moen Posi-Temp Seal Achieved???

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racecar789

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Attached a little drawing...

Question: What prevents water from leaking out "past" the posi-temp cartridge? Talking about water leaking into the walls (not a leaky faucet).

I'm guessing it relies on "one" o-ring, but the o-ring is loosely pressed-in (with a clip of course). There is no screw-thread tightening to ensure a tight seal. Seems so loosey-goosey to me....

Granted, there are two rubber pads on each side (for hot/cold inlets), but even the pads are loosely pressed onto the side, there is no adhesive sticking them to the cartridge (can pull them off with zero effort).

Just replaced my third one. Each time I wonder "how does this seal work???". Since all other plumbing fittings rely on a super tight connection with dual redundant seals.

Thanks.

plumbing forum moen 2017-02-12.png

Thanks John, I'm just curious about the concept. How do these cartridges maintain a water-tight seal without any threading? Is the design itself kind of risky?

If I was designing a cartridge system....The cartridge would have one end threaded (pipe threaded also), with two o-rings (minimum).

Ex: Pro-Pex fittings have 2-3 barbs, plus the outer ring that shrinks...super tight seal. These cartridges though, eh....just push it in....good enough....???

Yeah....I might email Moen to find out. If I get a response I will post it here.

Don't lose sleep over it, Just know that it works.

If they respond, please let us know what they said. Now I'm curious.

Latest posts

Back