Help! Noisy radiators!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elisa73

Reaction score
Hello!

I live in NY where right now is 36 degrees and very cold outside. During the night the temperature drops and gets even colder.

During the day I have my heat settings at 75 and love it. The house is nice and warm and everybody is happy.

At night I lower the heat to 68 because we are under the blankets and everybody is still happy.

But the mornings are the worst! With the colder weather, the 68 is still high and makes the heat come up at all times during the night, which is great BUT the problem is that it wakes us up because it's so noisy! :mad:

Our radiators start hissing so loudly and banging and it's impossible to ignore them.

So the solution is lower the heat to 60 and freeze our butts in the morning, which everybody hates! Or have nice warm mornings and wake up at 2AM! :(

Please tell me there is a way to make these radiators quiet! I've looked online but can't really find anything I would trust.

I have a gas heater in the basement and those cast iron radiators throughout the house. Please help! Thanks! :)

It sounds like you have steam heat. The question I have is it one or two pipe steam? That can be determined by the number of lines connected to the radiator.

Hi John,

thank you for your reply. I looked and there is one pipe connected to the radiator. Thank you in advance for any insights and suggestions.

Latest posts

Back