I need a professional’s guidance in choosing a new water softener.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoss

Reaction score
My three bathroom home, currently occupied by two, is located in Tampa Bay Florida on County water, see below information. I need to buy a complete new replacement system that will be installed INSIDE a small four foot by seven foot non ventilated utility room.

As our water is very expensive I think a DEMAND Valve would be the best option?

I spoke to a supplier at the local home show a few weeks ago about a new unit. I’m not sure if he was guiding me in the right direction or trying to sell me a system he makes the most profit on or service call/repair profit on?

The salesman was telling me that Autotrol Model 268-760 is this century’s technology, where Fleck is last century? I noticed that both brands are made by Pentair and he said, yes but Autotrol is the better of the two?

I also need advise on a Mineral Tank and Brine Tank. I have noticed some brine tanks are round where others are square is there a difference? I need to make sure I get the best brine tank to protect my natural gas tankless water heater along with a electrical panel from salt erosion.

He also said I need to remove the OmniFilter U25 filter before the softener as it is restricting water flow? I originally installed the PR10 to protect the softener as our water has a lot of sediments.

Also, I will be buying the softener online so I can install it myself.

Thank you in advance for your expert advice.

Water Quality Information From Pinellas County Utilities Website.
Pinellas County Florida blends river water, desalinated seawater and groundwater for portable water.

As of December 2015

Iron (ppm) Average Result = 0.041 Range of Results = 0.011 - 0.220

Chloride (ppm) Average Result = 23.2 Range of Results = 19 - 33

Sulfate (ppm) Average Result= 52 Range of Results = 42 -74

Total Dissolved Solids (ppm) Average Result = 315 Range of Results = 194- 382

Calcium (ppm) Average Result = 78.1 Range of Results = 68.6 - 87.5

Magnesium (ppm) Average Result = 6.15 Range of Results = 4.70 - 6.38

pH (SU) Average Result = 7.9 Range of Results = 7.6 - 8.2

Alkalinity as CaCO3 (ppm) conc. Average Results = 189 Range of Results = 160 - 200

Total Hardness (ppm) Average Results = 223 Result 223 Range of Results = 191 - 245

Water softener setting for hardness: Equivalent to 11.2 -14.3 grains per gallon.

Brine-Tank 1.jpg

Brine-Tank 2.jpg

Last edited:
County water has all that? Did a person who did your testing offer to sell you a system?

County water has all that? Did a person who did your testing offer to sell you a system?
Water quality in my home has not been tested. The posted water quality information is from Pinellas County Utilities Website.

[
Have it tested. No need to buy anything you don't need. Not to mention if water is that high do you realize how many gallons it takes to backwash a system?

Since I live in Hillsborough county and have been servicing wells and water treatment for the last 30 years here, I am quite familiar with Tampabay's water. Do you have Tampa water or County water? City water is from the Hillsborough river where county water is well water. Hardness will be different depending on which one you have.

Personally I like the Clack head over either of Pentair's. I started using the Autotrol head as early as 1663 and didn't quit using it until Pentair got ahold of it. The Fleck head was also a very good head, but is now being changed a lot.

Since I live in Hillsborough county and have been servicing wells and water treatment for the last 30 years here, I am quite familiar with Tampabay's water. Do you have Tampa water or County water? City water is from the Hillsborough river where county water is well water. Hardness will be different depending on which one you have.

Personally I like the Clack head over either of Pentair's. I started using the Autotrol head as early as 1663 and didn't quit using it until Pentair got ahold of it. The Fleck head was also a very good head, but is now being changed a lot.
According to Tampa Bay Water, BOTH Pinellas & Hillsborough County customers receive potable (drinking) water from sources managed by the regional water supplier, Tampa Bay Water. This regional water supply is a blend of groundwater, treated surface water and desalinated seawater. Eleven regional well fields pumping water from the Floridan Aquifer are the primary sources for the regional groundwater supply. The Alafia River, Hillsborough River, C. W. Bill Young Regional Reservoir, and the Tampa Bypass Canal are the primary sources for the regional treated surface water supply. Hillsborough Bay is the primary source of seawater for the regional desalinated supply.

[
Have it tested. No need to buy anything you don't need. Not to mention if water is that high do you realize how many gallons it takes to backwash a system?
I'm confused as to why or who I would have test my water if it has already been tested for hardness by the County? Total Hardness (ppm) Average Results = 223 Result 223 Range of Results = 191 - 245.

Also, I am looking for a NEW softener to replace my OLD softener. Everyone I know in this part of Florida has a water softener to reduce the hardness.

I am aware of backwashing cost, that's why I asked the question about using a demand valve.

Last edited:
According to Tampa Bay Water,
That about sums it up, but I think you will find that most of the water comes from wells. The De-Sal plant doesn't supply that much water and was very controversial when they were trying to get it up and running. The surface water comes from the Alafia River but is supposedly only for emergencies. That was also a big flop as the giant bowl they built kept cracking and falling apart. LIke the De-Sal plant, lawsuits were filed, contractors went out of business etc etc etc. Your estimate of 223 parts per million is equal to 13 grains of hardness. A simple one cubic unit which has a 9" X 48" tank is all you need. A demand head is highly recommended and I recommend Clack over Autotrol and Fleck.

Because what arrives at your home can (most likely) be much different from what leaves the plant (or said to leave the plant).
So where can I get my water tested? I am still confused why I would need it tested? I know I have hard water that's why I had a softner put in years ago.

So where can I get my water tested? I am still confused why I would need it tested?

I know I have hard water that's why I had a softner put in years ago.

Did the softener contractor have the water analyzed at that time and spec'd the WS for your hardness level, flow capacity and number of people in the house or did he just guesstimate and slam a high priced unit in?

-Find Certified Water Treatment Professionals-

Latest posts

Back