Water leaking condominium shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thestar1212

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I got some issues on my current condominium*

THere had been some water leaks to the downstairs neighbor, precisely in the shower area.

I had engaged wateproofing expert to do some chemical waterproofing, but to no avail, the water is still dripping. The company ultimately gave up and asked us t find some plumber or contractor as they suspect it is due to structural issue and piping. However when I engage plumber, they said otherwise and it is due to waterproofing issue. I am confused on what to do and where to go

I had opened up the drain hole and poured water directly in, and the water it is still dripping downstairs, without touching and going through the floor tiles, so i believe this is not due to waterproofing issue? or am i wrong?

I had also checked my water meter and it is not moving at all even when i am not using it for 8 hours so there should be no leak from this side

thanks in advance for any advices and suggestions

If the drain is leaking when water is running in it then it is a plumbing problem. Seems like someone is trying to push the blame elsewhere.

Pictures of your shower drain and pan will help us give you some better advice.

If it leaks when you pour water into the drain without getting any on the flange of drain,
then it must be the drain leaking.

Reality is, someone is going to have to open the ceiling below to see what is leaking and to evaluate on how to fix it.

Here's one I did today.
Water leaks on floor of 1st floor condo when they used bathtub upstairs in another condo.

Cheapest option for owner in upper unit. Don't use the tub.
Not an option for them so I opened a hole in wall unit below.

Found several cracks in 2" and 3" cast iron pipe. Been cracked for a long time.
Only started leaking after the unit was vacant for several month.
The sludge build up inside the pipe dried out when the unit was vacant.

2017-01-23 Avocado Village drain 001.jpg

2017-01-23 Avocado Village drain 005.jpg

2017-01-23 Avocado Village drain 002.jpg

Reactions: SHR
Found several cracks in 2" and 3" cast iron pipe. Been cracked for a long time.
Only started leaking after the unit was vacant for several month. The sludge build up inside the pipe dried out when the unit was vacant.

...hmmpf... :)

FACTOID OF THE DAY!

Did you replace with CI or PVC/ABS?

...hmmpf... :)

FACTOID OF THE DAY!

Did you replace with CI or PVC/ABS?

Installed cast iron. They use it in these condos in walls to reduce noise.

It's ABS under slab and Vents are ABS

Can you explain what can cause a CI pipe to crack like this?

Not a clue. Here's a double fixture tee picking up to floor drains in and office building bathroom.

Sorry ThesStar for hijacking your thread

057.jpg

038.jpg

051.jpg

Thank you so much for all the reply,

I am sorry for not replying at all, i am away and have limited access to Internet.

I will only be back to my home on around 30 so please bear with me for the pictures, till then, please help me again

Thanks once again and god bless you all

All that drawing above is if it's a tile floor. If that's the case it could be the grout has worn and become compromised. Could be running down your shower valve too. I will wait for pics . :)

i have a theory on the cracking

improper snap cutter adjustment caused a stress crack over time

just a theory

The fitting wasn't cut. But what you said could be one cause.

I see more cracks on no hub pipe than I see on older hub and spigot pipe.

Installed cast iron. They use it in these condos in walls to reduce noise.

It's ABS under slab and Vents are ABS

Understand and makes sense.

...hmmph...

Could it be due do you think to quality of the material, say CHARLOTTE to import?

THANX!

Last edited:
The fitting wasn't cut. But what you said could be one cause.

i looked in the charlotte book, wall thickness,
4'' no hub is .13
4'' service weight .17
4'' extra heavy duty .25
I always "ping" my pipe, you can tell by the sound if its cracked
if is a 'thud' its cracked, if it ''pings'' its good

Hi everyone, I am back to my home, but sadly, had yet to gain access to the lower unit house as they are away

Here are some picture of my drain, are they of any help? or do I really need to access it from the lower unit? where do I open them and do I need to hire contractor to break the ceiling for investigating it?

leak 1.jpg

leak 2.jpg

leak 3.jpg

leak 4.jpg

assuming if the problem lies on the pipe, on whose responsibility does it fall on usually?

my neighbor or management of the condominium or just me alone?

Yes, that is my shower drain, the leaking only occur when water goes through that, even when I pour it directly without touching floor tile or other parts.

VICPLAS- Made In Singapore

I guess when a contractor comes in to place a new construction bid, he/she/it/mutant has to bid low to get the job... :confused:

FYI folks, i just checked the IP of the original poster and he resides in Jakarta, Indonesia!

Latest posts

Back