Suggestion regarding old Gas Hot Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De-Don

SpecialCaseInvestigator
Reaction score
I own a home that has an AO Smith 40 Power Vented Tank Heater with a 11/1993 inspection tag on it. We moved in in 2004. I've done some minor things like replace the PRV and flushed it three times.

Over the years, I have had to turn the Temp Control Valve on the front control panel up to the present position-all the way to the left- at the upper limit.

Putting age aside, if I put a new temp control valve on it, might I fix the short-lived hot water when I take a shower? It now last about eight minutes before it gets luke-warm. Hot water availability is not an issue 90% of the time, otherwise.

Okay, if you are going to suggest that I replace it, now, then would you please suggest a comparable unit. Mine is a: FPS 40 226 PN: FPS40 J00N001000 I want to stay with the same Nat Gas Power Vented without going for all of the newer (IMO, questionably reliable), high tech stuff.

I would like to get the same size or a 50 gallon if the plumbing will match up. I have pics if it would help. Thanks.

Your water heater is worn out. The average life of a power vented water heater is only 6 years. Count your blessings, thank the water heater for it's long service and rip it out and replace it with new. All that high tech stuff is now federally required so no way around it.

Thanks for the reply. I will agree that 23 years is probably getting all of the value out a builder's grade A.O.Smith.
I have a hard time accepting that the life expectancy of a new power vented gas hot water heater is only 6 years, especially in light of the cost of that type of heater and the associated venting system.
Since no one else, here, seems to have any suggestions and your assessment of current hot water heater values/expected longevity is, in my opinion, unrealistic, I'll probably look elsewhere for advice. Best Regards

It is rather old, but also make sure that plenty of fresh air can get to it around the bottom. Some have filters that need to be cleaned ever so often. Might not work in this case though.

And just because they have a six year warranty doesn't mean they only last six years.

My experience in the field is 6 year average life before tank failure on power vented water heaters.

My experience in the field is 6 year average life before tank failure on power vented water heaters.

Is it a leaking tank you come across or other issues?

First of all, thanks for the replies.
(Everytime I think that this unit is about to give up the ghost, it seems to revive itself which of course I realize is not probable.)
The main issue at the moment is that the temperature control dial on the outside of the unit is all of the way up. It still has hot water both at the kitchen sink and upstairs in the hall bath at the shower and sink. So, aside from the fact that the tempt control on the unit is all of the way up, there aren't any other issues. It doesn't leak. five years ago, I replaced the PRV and flushed the unit. I suppose I should flush it more often but, amazingly with a 1993 tag on it, it still works pretty well.
I'm just pissed and amazed that only six years is the expectancy of a unit that costs over a thousand dollars. That's just amazing! No matter what the Brand? WTF!? So I have to pay through the nose for garbage? What's this country fallen to?

I just took out my Moen positemp single handle shower cartridge, yesterday, and slapped some silicone on it because the plastic handle broke as I was turning it on. I didn't realize that it had that much resistance in it. Danco's know was $9.79 and Moen's was $12.49. You might think that they are gold plated! Anyway. After "greasing" the cartridge, my shower's like new again. Also replace the sink faucet in my wife's (MBR) sink, yesterday.

I just can't get over the life expectancy of a new power-vented tank heater relative to its cost.

Despite everyone's opinion suggesting I should just buy a new unit, I'm tempted to replace either the gas control unit or, if possible, the thermostat dial on the gas control. I've also thought about changing out the anode since that has never been done. I'm just a bit concerned about that the threads might look like at this age.
The unit is still producing hot water and shows no signs of leaks, starts up like clockwork and recovers in 20 minutes.
Thanks again for your interests

regarding the unit getting air, I never keep anything close to the Hot Water Heater. I do keep an insulation jacket on it but, insure that it can "breath."

Is it a leaking tank you come across or other issues?
Leaking tanks. Predictable too, when one water heater in a newer development starts leaking at 6 years old, most of the others in the development do too. Not isolated incidents, and always right after warranty expires...

Leaking tanks. Predictable too, when one water heater in a newer development starts leaking at 6 years old, most of the others in the development do too. Not isolated incidents, and always right after warranty expires...

All same brand?

Back