Replacing double to single bowl sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molly

Reaction score
The new sink will be a single, and the disposal will be moved to around where the basin with no disposal currently is, and about 4" more to the right of that. I'm guessing I need to get a new curved piece that comes out of the disposal, and a new straight piece that will go down to the p-trap, and a new p-trap.

Does pipe that is cemented together (that's that crusty stuff around the nuts, right?) come apart with a wrench and brute strength, or is it necessary to cut all the old stuff out with a hacksaw? Where do I begin the cutting?

I've never done ANY plumbing in my life, except replace a kitchen faucet. Is this too complicated for a novice? Is this best left to a professional?

My 1st disposal, someone had to show me. After that they were all easy.
You have a pretty easy job there. Look for videos on YouTube. Watch a few and take what looks right and go with it.

Nothing in the picture looks like you have to cut anything out.
Experience helps.
I have seen a lot of hack jobs where you can tell a novice installed it.
Give it a go.
But if you're not handy with tools and figuring things out then save yourself the headache.

My 1st disposal, someone had to show me. After that they were all easy.
You have a pretty easy job there. Look for videos on YouTube. Watch a few and take what looks right and go with it.

Nothing in the picture looks like you have to cut anything out.
Experience helps.
I have seen a lot of hack jobs where you can tell a novice installed it.
Give it a go.
But if you're not handy with tools and figuring things out then save yourself the headache.

Thanks, that sounds reassuring.

For some reason, I keep finding YouTube videos where cutting is involved. And reaming. I can't even tell what reaming is or what it's for. But it doesn't sound like I have to do any of that...

Your disposal is made to rotate in any direction to allow you to align the piping down into a p trap. I'd recommend not cutting anything until it is all in alignment.

Your disposal is made to rotate in any direction to allow you to align the piping down into a p trap. I'd recommend not cutting anything until it is all in alignment.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

Back