Help decipherin bathroom rough in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoffman6457

Reaction score
We recently purchased a house that had a basement rough in already there. I've done a lot of searching on the Web but haven't found a post that shows my configuration. Im attaching two photos to help show what is there. I'm trying to determine if the horizontal pipe in the box is for a shower drain and it just needs a ptrap added. I'm pretty sure the pipe coming up from floor to ceiling is the lavatory drain and vent. The 4 inch pipe I'm assuming is the toilet. The pipe in the box feels like it should be the shower drain?

2017-01-16 21.55.43.jpg

2017-01-16 21.53.06.jpg

Last edited:
Any advice on whether that horizontal pipe is for a shower and is just missing a ptrap or something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

looks like a tub drain to me from your picture

toilet stub should be about 12'' center to the wall,,,from that same wall, the box, should be about 5' to the center of that box

if this is true. it is a tub drain it can be a shower if you frame it as such

sh.jpg

Thank you for the help and yes it is 5 feet from the wall. Would I need to figure out a way to vent the shower drain or can it be wet vented by the lavatory/toilet vent that is there?

Thank you very much for the advice. This is a great forum and so glad so many people are willing to help others!

It wouldn't of passed underground inspection if the tub wasn't properly wet vented, or an obvious individual vent is in place. You are safe to add a p-trap and install the tub.

Latest posts

Back