Shutoff valve handle - gone!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky472

Reaction score
I have a hose Bibb that cracked and is leaking slowly. I went and bought a new one, brought it home, went to the shutoff and found that the handle was gone. No idea what happened to it. It was the there the last time I used it a couple months ago. So that's a mystery that no one on this forum can solve.

But my question is what do I do now. Here are some pictures. I don't know if the valve handle fit over that large nut or if there was a stem coming out of the center that someone broke off. Either way I don't know why someone would do it or how to proceed. I'm thinking there must have been a stem in the middle that connected to the handle but don't have any idea if this is something I can fix or replace. My worry is I'm going to have to call a plumber and have them replace the entire valve. Or something else expensive sounding. Any ideas or words of wisdom?

On a side question, I've got two access holes right next to each other with valves. One has never had a handle and I've always used the other one (with the missing handle). Why are there two?

Thanks

I have a hose Bibb that cracked and is leaking slowly. I went and bought a new one, brought it home, went to the shutoff and found that the handle was gone. No idea what happened to it. It was the there the last time I used it a couple months ago. So that's a mystery that no one on this forum can solve.

But my question is what do I do now. Here are some pictures. I don't know if the valve handle fit over that large nut or if there was a stem coming out of the center that someone broke off. Either way I don't know why someone would do it or how to proceed. I'm thinking there must have been a stem in the middle that connected to the handle but don't have any idea if this is something I can fix or replace. My worry is I'm going to have to call a plumber and have them replace the entire valve. Or something else expensive sounding. Any ideas or words of wisdom?

On a side question, I've got two access holes right next to each other with valves. One has never had a handle and I've always used the other one (with the missing handle). Why are there two?

Thanks

Save some money by digging up the valve to expose it.
You may also find out what is in the other box.
possibly another valve.
Where it your water meter?

Both boxes have valves. But one has never had a handle and the other one did, so that's the one I've always used. The meter is about a foot away.

Latest posts

Back