1 inch tail?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekim401

Reaction score
Can you connect a 1 inch sink tail to a 1-1/2 trap?

I'm a novice DIY home owner, but not my first drain and trap. I swear this drain tail is 1", not 1-1/4. I need to tie into a 1-1/2" about 4 feet away (I'll make sure I have enough pitch) - So I was hoping to go right to 1-1/2 off the tail but I don't remember seeing any 1 to 1-1/2 anything.

I'll take some when I get home, about an hour and a half.

I had my brother confirm it is in fact a 1" drain tail. Not sure it's even possible to bring that into a 1-1/2 trap.

is it a drain on a stainless steel sink like this one, which are often found in commercial kitchen application?

1" drain

I'm doing something wrong. I put the nut and washer on the tail, slipped the J on, and tightened. But it still slides too easily and overflows when running water. I even tried flipping the washer, nothing.

The only sinks I've done in the past start with a threaded drain, no tail...so maybe I'm missing something.

sketch-1484229374022.jpg

Yes that's what the package said. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Such a simple project.

We don't use reducing washers here. I use 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 trap adapters.

I have been fooled by some trap adapters specifying a plastic or brass tail piece, there's a slight difference in size.

Try a different washer. beveled side goes into the top of the trap.

I have seen some washer where the 1 1/2" and the 1 1/4" fit together to make a single washer.

I wound up grabbing a universal drain. Worked great.

I should've known, buying a $25 faucet and drain combo. You live and learn I guess. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't know that I'll be of any help answering questions, but I'm sure I'll be back to ask them!

Back