Shutoff valve help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmen

Reaction score
I have these old shut offs in my main bathroom.

shutoff.jpg

Wondering how I remove them, and then the best way to prepare for new ones. I am unable to pull any pipe out of the wall in order to cut. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Also - sorry, but I am posting this twice as the first time contained a link to the image on my google drive which I figured didn't work.

The image worked, but we prefer the way this pic is downloaded. No posts will show up for new members without manually being allowed in here, as a safeguard from all the recent spammers we have experienced.

valve2.jpg

Thanks so much for the replies! So, do I unscrew it from where the arrow is pointing? Cut off the escutcheon and hold the pipe... is the pipe copper then, or galvanized like a lot of my house? Hoping I can just unscrew and screw on new valves...

If it's galvanized pipe you can just unscrew the angle stops,you may unscrew the short nipple out of the wall also but should be able to replace those easily .
Just make sure it's not copper or you may twist them off

The stubs are galvanized and also 3/8". I had to remove the chrome thingys and break out tile around the pipe in order to fit a pipe wrench onto the pipe. Once I did that the valves unscrewed easily and I replaced them with 1/4 turns.
Is it OK to keep galvanized pipe? At what point do you replace it all?

When the pressure gets to the point it's unacceptable to you or when the galvanize starts leaking at fittings

Latest posts

Back