Pump and Supplier recommendation please

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not-a-plumber

Reaction score
I have spoken with Mike at aquascience.net.
He seems very knowledgeable.
We have sized my replacement pump at 3/4hp 10 gpm.
He is recommending a Goulds GS pump # 10GS07422C @ $570.
Looking online his price seems competitive, not the absolute lowest, but still very competitive.
My two questions are: Based on your experience-
Is the Gould GS pump my best option?
And
Is aquascience.net a good place to buy from?

Thanks for your help.

Goulds is as good as any but no better than most others. Have you looked at the price of those Hallmark pumps. I don't know how good they are but you can't beat that price.

And any pump, even a cheaply built pump will last much longer if you eliminate the cycling on and off.

Brand names really don't mean much these days since practically every good old brand name is now owned by someone else. You don't know what your buying these days. Goulds and Myers both have a Chinese motor.

So what would be a good recommendation for a well built pump and motor?Grundfos? Flint and Walling with a Franklin motor? Meyers?
I guess I'm looking for a good pump at a fair price. I'm willing to pay more as long as I really get more.
Thanks

People have been searching for and purchasing the least expensive pump they can find for years. So now the only choices we have are all cheaply built pumps. If people only bought the BEST pump, then manufacturers would have been trying to make better pumps instead of cheaper pumps.

Now even if it says made in the US, you can bet that most of the parts such as bearings, seals, motors, switches, plastic, etc., all came from overseas. And any parts that are made in the US are made with machines and materials, such as plastic, that is built in China, Korea, or someplace else.

And since all pump companies are competing to build the lowest price pump, there is not much difference between them anymore.

The best you can do is limit the on/off cycles and try to make the cheap pumps last as long as possible.

Companies who continued to make quality pumps were priced out of the market many years ago. SAD!

People have been searching for and purchasing the least expensive pump they can find for years. So now the only choices we have are all cheaply built pumps. If people only bought the BEST pump, then manufacturers would have been trying to make better pumps instead of cheaper pumps.

Now even if it says made in the US, you can bet that most of the parts such as bearings, seals, motors, switches, plastic, etc., all came from overseas. And any parts that are made in the US are made with machines and materials, such as plastic, that is built in China, Korea, or someplace else.

And since all pump companies are competing to build the lowest price pump, there is not much difference between them anymore.

The best you can do is limit the on/off cycles and try to make the cheap pumps last as long as possible.

Companies who continued to make quality pumps were priced out of the market many years ago. SAD!
I wish I could disagree with that, but I can't. It's true. And even if you were to find a great pump, it would have a cheap motor on it. Sorry!

zoeller zoeller zoeller also. I forgot that one.

I had a major brain fart. My apologies.

You need to lay off the SPAM young lady...
smileys-thumbs-370508.gif

Back