Water softener question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakumboakum

Reaction score
I have an Autotrol 255/460i water softener that was professionally installed by a water softener company back in 2003. Last month a reduction in water pressure was noticed at the faucets. After pushing in the bypass, the water pressure was normal.

I can buy the same unit for $600 delivered. Before buying a replacement water softener, I am considering changing the resin first.

Will changing the resin provide another 13 years of soft water and dependable service?

It may have to have then control head rebuilt.

As for the resin, have you noticed any particulates (resin beads) in the softened water or less quality softened water?

Yes, the resin is serviceable.

The 255 was a great head. It's biggest drawback was cleaning internally if you had much iron in your water. Once the iron buildup got to a certain point, it would start flaking off and plugging the nozzle/venturi which draws the brine. No brine draw, no soft water. If it's that old and you can get a replacement for $600.00, I would go for it. You won't be getting a 255 head today though because after being bought out by Pentair, they have changed a lot. They are no longer mechanical, they are electronic. Or shop around for a Clack head which is a better head and is metered and will save you a ton of salt.

Last edited:
Thank you kultulz and speedbump. Your input is appreciated. The water softener is in a rental home. I went out there and saw that the bypass button was pushed in. I opened the kitchen faucet and saw good pressure. I put the water softener in service mode and opened the kitchen faucet again. I immediately saw restricted water flow.

I went ahead and manually regenerated the water softener and when the cycle was completed I checked water pressure and saw no reduction. It's been 8 days now and the tenants tell me that the water pressure has never been restricted. I think the backwash cycle dislodged dirt or debris that was causing the drop in water pressure.

I am still considering replacing the resin or buying a new Autotrol 268/460i softener.

Thanks again

Back