70% Copper and 30% Galv House Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuga

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to plumbing, but got a question I hope I can get everyone's advice on.

My wife and I just bought a house and the plumbing in the house is about 70% copper and 30% Galv.

There's a couple of connected areas between the Galv and copper pipes where there is very minor wetness/leaking.

There is also low/decreased water flow/pressure when multiple faucets are turned on in the restroom.

Now I know the problem likely lies with the galv pipes being corroded from the inside so I want to replace those.

A plumber I spoke with suggested that we repipe the entire place rather than just replacing the galv pipes with copper.

But this doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it cheaper to simply replace the galv pipes with copper? Why repipe the entire house considering 70% of it is copper piping already?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Depends on the condition of the old copper. Type m soft copper on slap dosent last very long.

Back