Brine Tank Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellNeub

Reaction score
Last edited:
I am getting a lot of sediment/dirt inside of my brine tank (see pictures) - why, is this normal?View attachment 13706View attachment 13707

The water enters the house From the well, then goes to through the following prior to distribution:

1. 5 micron filter (watts)
2. Ph neutralizer (Pentair fleck7000)
3. Softener w brine tank (pentair fleck7000)
4. 5 micron filter (watts)

It is most likely either iron reducing bacteria and/or magnesium. The sediment (pre-) filter will not remove these without pre-treatment (air, chlorine or peroxide injection) or an iron filter. The resin in the WS has to be formulated to handle excess minerals without either an iron and/or carbon filter.

Was the softener sized correctly (being matched to TDS)?

What does the inside of your toilet tank(s) look like?

It is most likely either iron reducing bacteria and/or magnesium. The sediment (pre-) filter will not remove these without pre-treatment (air, chlorine or peroxide injection) or an iron filter. The resin in the WS has to be formulated to handle excess minerals without either an iron and/or carbon filter.

Was the softener sized correctly (being matched to TDS)?

What does the inside of your toilet tank(s) look like?

Yes. The softener was sized correctly.

Inside of the toilet bowl looks clear, with a little bit of sediment at the bottom from before I installed the sediment filters.

Could this be dirt from the salt in the brine tank?
What should I test my water for?

Last edited:
Did this just start happening? Have you had the softener for long?

Did this just start happening? Have you had the softener for long?

I've had the softener for about a year. There was a little bit of dirt in there when I would typically add salt but it seems to have gotten worse.

I emptied the tank and washed it.. that seemed to have solved the issue for a while, but now looks like what you see in the picture.

Softener salt is not pure, it has some dirt. Rock salt, the least expensive of salts has a little more dirt than the processed salt but it won't hurt anything. If it gets too nasty looking just clean it out again when the salt gets low. It's a normal occurrence.

What brand/type of salt are you using? Sea salt is more pure than mined.

Exactly what was the softener designed to do, soften or filter?

Inside of the toilet bowl looks clear, with a little bit of sediment at the bottom from before I installed the sediment filters.

Could this be dirt from the salt in the brine tank?

What should I test my water for?

Lift the toilet tank lid and post what you see.

Does the residue in the brine tank smear when you rub a little between your fingers?

Last edited:
Not home but, I lifted a couple last night. It's clear. I can see through it. No ring around water fill level... just a bit of sediment at the bottom from prior to 5 micron filter install.

I called a local installer, sent the pictures above...he confirmed what the another poster above said. Sediment in salt. Wash the tank when it gets worse. I think we can close this.

Thank you all for input.

Last edited:
Back