Kitchen sink "glug glug glug" when draining

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiophile

Reaction score
When my kitchen sink drains water, it makes a pretty loud "glug glug glug" sound for a good 30 seconds after the water stops running. I think is is because there is gunk in the drain pipe.

sink.jpg

I was able to disconnect and clean (tooth brush) the "C" shaped trap and the pipe going into the main PVC toward to back of the cabinet. he red arrow on the pic shows where I broke it down and cleaned. That last bit of pipe was filled up about 30% with nasty black gunk.

I think there is more gunk in the larger diameter pipe too and am seeking advice for the best method to clean it. I was thinking some sort of large brush like a toilet brush but that will only get me into that first 90 you see in the pic after the red arrow. I need something bigger to snake down the vertical section that drops down below this cabinet and into the basement.

I am not a plumber so specific products recommendations (amazon or home depot) would be great. Thanks!

It has been fine for past 10+ years setup just like pictures which makes me think something has changed. I ended up using a tooth brush and a spray bottle to remove as much gunk from the elbow as I could. Then I filled the sink up with hot bleach water and let it drain all at once. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Before cleaning:
open.jpg

@john - Perhaps you are right and if the problem comes back in the future, I will consider alternative hardware. Thanks to all for the replies!

When my
new Pedestal Sink
drains water, it makes a pretty loud "glug glug glug" sound for a good 30 seconds after the water stops running. I think is is because there is gunk in the drain pipe.

sink.jpg

I was able to disconnect and clean (tooth brush) the "C" shaped trap and the pipe going into the main PVC toward to back of the cabinet. he red arrow on the pic shows where I broke it down and cleaned. That last bit of pipe was filled up about 30% with nasty black gunk.

I think there is more gunk in the larger diameter pipe too and am seeking advice for the best method to clean it. I was thinking some sort of large brush like a toilet brush but that will only get me into that first 90 you see in the pic after the red arrow. I need something bigger to snake down the vertical section that drops down below this cabinet and into the basement.

I am not a plumber so specific products recommendations (amazon or home depot) would be great. Thanks!

HI
just try the acid to clear the drain blockage

Back