Help identifying check/stop valve stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolanpro

Reaction score
Hi! I need to replace a check valve or stop valve stem (not sure what it's actually called). There are 2 of these (one hot, one cold) that go into a single handle shower/tub rough-in. I've been looking around online and at hardware stores and can't find anything like it. It's 2 parts. A stem and a sleeve. On the sleeve, the threads are on the inside. I've attached photos.

The closest thing I've found is this: http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?product_id=1910-003KJKNF

But I have not idea if it's compatible since it looks so different.

Any ideas what this might be or where I can buy one? Thanks!

stop1.jpg

stop2.jpg

What brand is the faucet? Contact the manufacturer for replacement of this part.

What brand is the faucet? Contact the manufacturer for replacement of this part.

Sadly, I have already tried that :( The rough-in and trim say they are Kohler so I bought the closest thing I could find based on the Kohler parts catalog:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=1083638

However, the piece is too large.

Another plumber said that my particular rough-in is in fact a cheap Chinese knockoff, and so is everyones else's in our building from when they remodeled the whole building back in 2007.

Anyway the "T" part that the valves are part of are a completely separate part from the rough-in and appear to be threaded (as opposed to soldered) to the rough-in

Show a picture of the shower valve without trim and the cartridge to confirm the manufacturer. Although it's possible that the stops were a separate add on and have no relationship to the shower valve. In that case, you may have to put new stops on or conduct a lengthy internet search for replacement stems for the stops.

Last edited:
Show a picture of the shower valve without trim and the cartridge to confirm the manufacturer. Although it's possible that the stops were a separate add on and have no relationship to the shower valve. In that case, you may have to put new stops on or conduct a lengthy internet search for replacement stems for the stops.

Here's a pic of the rough-in that says Kohler and another angle. Looks like i'm going to have to replace the entire "T" assembly for that stop valve which means i'm probably going to need to cut away more of the tub and put on a remodel plate. Was hoping to avoid that :(

valve4.jpg

valve3.jpg

Unfortunately those are generic aftermarket add on's.
They are fit all type stop valves when the valve you have does not come with stop and are used when required for use in a multi-unit building.

replace the washer and stem packing and call it a day.

Back