Faucet Install Leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyron

Reaction score
Installed a new bathroom faucet and am having an issue with a leak on the hot water supply line. The water supply line is a bendable copper tube from the shut off valve (faucet1 pic). I placed a nut, washer and cone washer (faucet2 pic) at the end of the tube so I could attach it to a fitting which connects to a tube to the faucet. Unfortunately, water leaks from the bottom of the nut down the bendable copper tube (faucet 3 pic) . Does anyone know how I can fix the leak? Do I need teflon tape, paste or is there another fix?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Faucet1.JPG

Faucet2.JPG

Faucet3.JPG

For about $10, I'd remove the flexible copper line and replace with a stainless steel supply line. Most big box stores have the size and configuration you will need.

Thank you, havasu. Appreciate your reply. I will replace with a stainless steel supply line. I noticed the other end of the copper flexible tube is soldered to the shut-off valve (pictured). Would you advise a new shut off valve? (home depot lists it as a 1/2 in. Nominal Compression Inlet x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression Outlet Multi-Turn Angle Valve). Thanks again.

Great forum. Always appreciate the help.

Shutoffvalve.jpg

Oh, nevermind, you have that crappy attached supply line stop valves. Either you will have to replace the entire valve (that would be my recommendation) or you will need to utilize that existing line. The trick to those is to make sure you use the attached flat washer. Good luck!

(if you can shut off the water, replacing that supply line/valve combo is still your best bet, just make sure you get an American made quarter turn valve for years of service)

Thanks, havasu. I'm going to replace the supply line/valve. Appreciate your help!

Purchased the supply lines and valves. Tomorrow is the install. Now I just have to remember to turn off the water. Thanks, havasu.

We'll be here if you need more help. Also, please take a pic of the finished job for us. We love pics!

The original supply line connection leaked because you used a flare fitting adapter on a NPT fitting. Threads very different, will never seal together. Good choice to redo the supply valve and lines.

Thanks SHR and SHEPLMBR.

I was concerned about future leakage from the fitting (and with the help of havasu) decided to replace the valve and supply lines. Appreciate the confidence booster on the choice and the 1/4 turn advice.

Back