Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Pumps and Wells > Low water pressure - Maintains 20psi

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 AM   #11
Clueless89

Likes Given: 5

No the pump will never satisfy the switch and it runs continuously. I've heard of the switches going bad or the pipes to the switch or gauge being clogged but I believe it's accurate simply because our water pressure in the shower and upstairs sinks are really lacking pressure. The only sink that doesn't seem affected is the basement sink.

If the gauge is reading inaccurately however, could I just checked the air pressure in the pressure tank to get an accurate water pressure reading? As the water pressure builds against the air pressure in the tank, the air pressure should also rise, correct?

Old 04-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
speedbump
Wells & pumps; not a...

Liked 206 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
If the gauge is reading inaccurately however, could I just checked the air pressure in the pressure tank to get an accurate water pressure reading? As the water pressure builds against the air pressure in the tank, the air pressure should also rise, correct?
Yes, that would tell you the pressure in the system provided your air gauge is accurate.

You should know that a pump running continuously while no water is flowing in the system will burn up in a very short period of time. First the impellers which are almost always plastic melt. Then as the heat continues to build, the motor finally dies. It would only take one or two melted impellers to drop your pressure to 20 psi or so.