Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Showers and Tubs > Need help identifying mystery pipe/cap in floor

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
skaelgoil

Default Need help identifying mystery pipe/cap in floor

Hi all,

I'm a DIYer, so I apologize if my question is something that should be obvious. I only dabble in plumbing when the need arises.

Does anybody know what the capped off pipe by the shower would be? Do I need to maintain access to it or can it be covered and forgotten (again) that it ever existed?

The slot on top of the cap is filled with old adhesive and some half-hearted attempts on my husband's behalf couldn't get it to budge. The tiles are floating about 1/4" above, so it's not trapped by them.

Thanks!

Backstory/Additional Info: The house is from the early 1950s and is a bizarre little community where engineers designed and built their own houses. Remodeling it has been both an adventure and a nightmare.

This is an upstairs bathroom -- located above the kitchen, with no access -- and was carpeted until this weekend. The wax seal on the toilet started leaking and I decided enough was enough; when I pulled out the carpet, I found this underneath.

There are a lot of issues with this bathroom and we were wanting to fully remodel and tile it...but I don't want to start any of that until I know what the mystery thing in the floor is and how to deal with it.

20170827_142602.jpg  

Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 837 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Hard to say. Maybe is All I can give you,
Floor drain, cleanout. mistake. trim the wood next to it just a little and stick a small mirror in or a camera.

a.k.a. Krazedav

Old 09-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
voletl
PLF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts

Looks like a floor drain or like david said an access to a clean out

Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
plumberscott

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Maybe it's a cleanout

Old 09-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1819 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 379

looks like poor planning to me

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting