Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Dishwasher not draining through garbage disposal

Old 08-02-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
JVAD

Default Dishwasher not draining through garbage disposal

Hello seeking advice to fix our dishwasher / garbage disposal issue. See photo attached. Dishwasher does not drain completely due to standing water build up in the garbage disposal. When the dishwasher pumps out the water I need to run the garbage disposal to force water to climb uphill past the trap and exit to the wall outlet. Even after running the sink I still have standing water in the drain unless i run the garbage disposal to clear it. I has been installed for 7 years but only now is starting to become a issue. I always assume it was just a gravity issue because the drain outlet was higher than the output of the garbage disposal. Now that it prevents the dishwasher from clearing the dishes don't dry cause there is so much water in the bottom of the washer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best

JD

20170711_083820.jpg  

Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
voletl
PLF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts

You have to lower that drain. Water doesn't flow uphill.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1086 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 306

If this just started I would be suspecting a drain clog.
dereklotts Likes This 
Old 08-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
CT-18

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

That drain is way too high. I'm not sure you can make the connection without opening the wall up and lowering that fitting in the wall.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
dschae1

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Worked for 7 years and now only recently it is failing? I would not worry about the drain height (yep, it is a problem, but not his current problem).

I vote for a clog between the bottom of the dishwasher and the disposal. Either that or his 7 year old disposal is on it's last legs and is part of the problem somehow.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #6
dschae1

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

just realized the thread is two weeks old. JVAD, can you update us as to the solution you found please?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
dereklotts

Likes Given: 1

I agree with dschae1, I believe it's clog too. You can dumping some baking soda followed by white vinegar down the drain first. The foaming action may loosen up some stuff. I'd try this a few times. If it's more tougher stuff you can try buying one of those drain snake things to help remove. Also, try a plunger and or a singe use "zip-it" drain cleaner first. They look like long plastic sip ties with barbs along the sides.Just to check for the blocked drains. It'll really depend on what's clogging it.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #8
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1795 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 373

LOOK at the picture. what do you see?

I see the dishwasher hose is not looped UP to the bottom of the cabinet but is dropping in a down position
I also see the drain from the disposal to the wall is to high

his plumbing is not installed correctly and will continue to clog up till it is corrected

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting