Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > I know it's not done correctly!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Saxmaninalaska

Default I know it's not done correctly!

My first time here. Thank you to all who went ahead of me and created a great forum where people can share information and learn.
I'm probably a little above average DIY guy, but the title of this post says it best; " I know it's not done correctly!"
I'm installing a new shower. This is a picture of the underfouse drain system I installed. Has lots of parts, including 2 cleanouts😉😂😳, but the overall lay out seems incorrect. Can anyone give it a look and see where it needs changing? Thanks

Paul McGuire
Anchorage, AK.

IMG_4103.jpg   IMG_4104.jpg  

Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1795 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 373

trap is backwards,
it is a running trap,
the trap seal is too deep,
outlet is above the inlet

post a picture of the vent and the trap

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Last edited by frodo; 08-18-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 822 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 550

What makes you above average?

Coming off the shower drain you want to go straight down into a p-trap.
That trap will have a street 90 on the outlet side. that will run any horizontal direction you want. You will then need to connect a vent to that horizontal line.
That's the tricky part. The vent can not be a horizontal connection. It has to be 45 degrees minimum above the horizontal plane.

a.k.a. Krazedav
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Saxmaninalaska

Default Apologies

Oh My God! Really. I have no idea why I said that in my post. I am so sorry. Above Average? The only thing I'm above average at is eating and drinking! Above average? Yea, just take a look at the "plumbing thing I did". It looks like I went to the big box store and grabbed everything I could see, glued it together, and said "hmm, this doesn't look right". No S$%T, Sherlock. Above average? Is that why I'm on the forum in the first place? If I'm so smart, why did I need the forum and why does my "plumbing job" look like something a Rube Goldberg would create.
No, in fact, I am not "Above Average" as a DIY. Once again my apology and now I will embarrassingly slurk off to my cave. :-(

Last edited by Saxmaninalaska; 08-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1086 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 306

My weight is the only "above average" thing I can claim!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1795 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 373

My observation, the floor under the shower loooks to be a 2'' piece of insulation?

what is the fiberglass shower sitting on?
the bottom of the shower HAS TO be sitting in a bed of concrete, to stop the fiberglass from flexing
trap.jpg   trap1.jpg  

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Last edited by frodo; 08-21-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Saxmaninalaska

Default Thanks

For the reply and photo showing what needs to happen. I will get this done over. Also, you are absolutely correct about the shower. Except, it's not insulation, it is the bottom of the shower pan you're looking at. 2012 when I was doing this remodel, I suffered a herniated disc in my neck and had to have a fusion surgery. My son was " helping me" while I was in the hospital. Came home to see he had installed and sheetrocked over the whole shower system, but alas, he didn't put anything under the shower pan. Yes, it's true, the fiberglass starting flexing and later it did crack. So I knew i needed to replace the pan.

That job begins after I fix my second plumbing hodgepodge I created. Otherwise, we are out of a shower for an "undetermined" amount of time.

So, if anyone ever asks me, I can say definitively " fiberglass shower pans MUST be supported on a concrete bed.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input.

Paul

Old 08-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Saxmaninalaska

Default Insulation under the shower pan?

Frodo, I just looked again at the picture you commented on. I see what you are referencing. I thought my other shower floor was visible. That you see, must be a reflection of something or a flaw in the picture. This is a pre fab shower pan, installed over new 1/4 " plywood on about 1" sub floor. Then the surface was flattened with self leveling concrete. Then the shower pan was installed using thin set.
Thanks again.

Paul