Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > pipe locating

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
stevenl

Default pipe locating

Does anyone out there have a way to locate a copper water pipe running under a slab. I have a leak in my line somewhere between the holding tank 60 feet from the house and my basement. I'm trying to figure out where to dig by the basement as there is no indication where the line might exit the house. If anyone has a great way to locate a leak without digging up the entire line also, I'm all ears.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
Matt30

Liked 718 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 196

There's companies out there that can locate pinhole leaks with a sound testing device. Not every plumbing company carries this. Where I'm at, most times the guys who have that kind of gear have their own business, and that's all they do.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 AM   #3
stevenl

Thanks Matt--I'll see who might offer that service here in Spokane.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 929 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I have a leak locator and a line locator. Leak locator is what matt says and you listen for the leak, if you are going to call out a company to do it turn your water off for as long as possible before hand because when it is saturated it is much harder to here the exact location, also to do do it as early in the morning as possible because outside noise is also a problem. Now on the line locator I can clip it to the copper and trace it exactly where it goes and give you depth. I usually locate then look for the leak.
People Like This 
Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #5
stevenl

Thanks for the heads up Chris. These guys are so booked up that I'm not sure I'll get to pick the time of day, but I will certainly keep it in mind.