Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Drain and Sewer Cleaning > mini auger gets stuck. What am I doing wrong?

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
bluekayak1

Default mini auger gets stuck. What am I doing wrong?

Hi folks,

I've got a mildly-clogged tub that I'm trying to unclog. If I run the shower at 50% flow, it drains ok. But anything past that and it starts backing up.

I've been at this for weeks, and decided to post here after exhausting all the google/youtube/internet info I could find. Registered here to see if someone could help me figure out my issue.

Here's what I've tried:
- zipit
- remove overflow cap + assembly, covered with duct tap + use plunger (vaseline on lip, and filled tub with water for vacuum effect). Plunged for 20 min, no luck. Tried several recommended variations, such as "push plunger down slowly, then Suddenly pull up"
- shopvac trick (with overflow sealed off)

Last attempt was using a 20' long mini auger (Bass Craft Sink Cleaner)
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbin...er-187439.html

I fished it down the overflow hole and it gets about 2-3 feet deep. Then it hits metal or something (I don't think it's the clog, as the head comes back clean, no hair, etc). But I can't seem to go beyond that.

I've tried rotating the auger manually, and being patient (20 minutes of jiggling, trying to get it to go further). But no luck. It just won't go past that spot.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there some trick involved?

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
LiQuId

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

you need someone with a k 50 auger, you could be hitting the blockage but regardless the cable is too small to do much. A plumber will clear the line.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
phishfood
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 965 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 1739

You might have a drum trap, which can be very hard to get a snake through.

Is the house an older house?

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
bluekayak1

Thanks Liquid. Hmm, those K50 augers don't look cheap. I'm hoping to avoid calling a plumber but it may come to that.

Thanks Phishfood. Yes, this is an older house... maybe built around 1950's?
I don't know if it has crawl space under the house. I will check. (it's a rental)

The property owner will reimburse me if a plumber is needed, but we have a 2nd shower, so it's not critical and it's just a slow clog, so this shower is still usable.
I'm using this as a learning experience so I can be self-sufficient unless it's beyond DIY level.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
phishfood
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 965 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 1739

A really good drain cleaner can sometimes get through a drum trap. Sometimes they have to be cut out and replaced.

It is entirely possible that you are not in fact dealing with one of these, but an old house and you thinking that you are hitting metal sure seems to point to that.