Pex install question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some pro advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some basic info. Western NY area. 1 story ranch with finished loft (eventually). Crawl space foundation with no room to maneuver after subloor install. 2x6 ceiling rafters spaced 16. Kitchen area vaulted so no ceiling rafters. 3/4 inch coming from street.

I'm quite sure I'm not explaining fully but here is my question. I plan to install a manifold system to take advantage of minimal connections. Manifold(s) will be located in same closet within utility room that contains hot water tank and main water valve. All lines can be run either below floor or above ceiling except for kitchen. Which would be more advantageous, or required by code?

A further bit of info...all plumbing is very near center of house width wise (as per my plan) so there will be no long runs. The same applies to drains/vents.
I'm new here and am fairly handy but my concerns are code and efficiency. I plan to do work myself and have inspection performed when work completed.

Thanks alot. If more info is needed, please ask.

Hey John my names Brian. I've been in the trade for about 6 years and have worked with a lot of pex. Wirsbo aqua pex is all I use and swear by it. It's the expandable type with the pex ring that slide over the pex. In my opinion I would put my runs in the floor. If possible witch should not be a problem do not use any fittings. I would use bend supports when making a turn or when coming through floor to provide water to the fixtures. The only drilling u should have to do is when coming through the floor or the wall, depending what's going in for fixtures. Another thing that is very important is to insulate the piping with armor flex. Works great. With no fittings under the floor and it being insulated you should have no issues ever. Sorry I didn't see the floor plans......

Appreciate the info there Brian. My building inspector agrees with you...under floor it is and fittings will be minimal. I have another dilemma involving PVC transition to cast iron sewer...I'll try and post a couple pix when I get to that. Again, thanks for the input.

There is a transition band made to go from PVC pipe to cast iron. It has a stainless steel outer sleeve, and a neoprene inner sleeve that has two slightly different inner diameters, to account for the slightly different outer diameters of the two different pipes.

I'm glad I could help. For the transition to pvc I would use what they call a mission cupling. Cast iron to plastic. Inspectors rather see them than a fernco. File off all rough edges on cast iron on outside to make a good seal. In my preference I would use abs, its a lot easier to use cause there is one glue instead of a primer and glue. The abs is more forgiving.Good luck john. If u have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. No question ie a stupid question.

That's what phishfood is explaining. It's called a mission coupling

Latest posts

Back