The Otah Thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought of Otah when I saw this on the web today.

ENGINEERING QUESTION

Conditions:

A backhoe weighing 22 tons is on top of a lowboy trailer and heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas.

The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a criss-cross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

Solve: When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast do you have to be going to slice the bridge in halfway?

(Assume no effect for headwind and no braking by the driver.) Extra Credit: Solve for the time and distance required for the entire rig to come to a complete stop after hitting the overpass at the speed calculated above.

Yes, you can neglect friction.

I couldn't solve it either.
But, the pictures are great

otah.jpg

otah1.jpg

otah2.jpg

I wonder if the driver ever worked again?

Is it 6 million per bridge?

That's why they are all falling apart now. Ain't no one that can afford that.

It is amazing to learn the costs of these huge machines. How on earth do they afford it? On our recent trip, I would see 5-6 of these things parked at one farm, so I guess many rent them?

That's my guess.

I have a ton of equipment rental places around me as I'm between to major metro areas. They always seem busy.

Rentals, or lease. I don't know if we own ours outright or make payments. We trade up about every two years so that helps. Boss said it costs us about $17k a year to run and keep the combine.

At $504,000 for the machine, it would take 30 years at $17,000 a year to pay it off, and that is not counting in interest. Either it doesn't cost 504K, or your employer is paying a lot more than 17K a year.

Maybe the fuel alone, our big machine uses 100 gallons a day. The 17k sounds more like a monthly deal.

So i spent pretty much the whole day installing a Gear Vendors overdrive on my truck only to have it not only not work, but take out reverse too... $600 wasted... Guess i'll find another factory driveshaft and go back to stock... :(

Latest posts

Back