Probably simple answer but....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgintupelo

Reaction score
It has been a few years since my last post but you are all very knowledgable and helpful so I thought I would start here with my current "situation".

We purchased a new sing stopper assembly last week and got it installed except there is a leak underneath the "sleeve" (not really a sleeve but looks like it) around the metal pipe that the pivot ball centers. I do not not the right terms here so I'm including a pic - which is at a 90 deg angle when it uploaded. Sorry about that. However, You can see the water droplets coming down and collecting on the top of the PVC pipe connection. It is also doing it in 2 or 3 other places right along the same area all the way around that piece.

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I thought it was the compression seal around the PVC connection at first because of all the water collecting there then flowing over the PVC pipe onto the cabinet floor but that was before I noticed where the water was coming from.

Thanks in advance.

photo-2.jpg

Likely the nut on top either needs to be tightened or you need to take the pop up out an re putty it (the surface where the chrome touches the top of the sink) its either one more than likely. fill the sink and watch it for a few minute and you should be able to confirm it. Just don't go too tight with that nut or you may damage the sink

I see the water droplet on the threaded tailpiece. Did you apply thread sealant on the male threads? Could be that too.

A common overlooked leak on a pop up assembly comes from underneath the large nut below the gasket sealing the sink opening.
In theory, the rubber is suppose to press against the bottom of the sink (usually never leaks) and also squeeze around the threads of the pop up.

Applying putty only seals around the flange to prevent water leaking while the sink is full or water.

Apply a small amount of pipe dope to the threads behind where the gaskets final position will be. This will prevent the water from slowly spiraling around and Leaking from below the nut.

Is it just my eyes, or am I seeing the brass nut is cross threaded? It also may be just the angle of the picture, but there appears to be more threads on the bottom of the picture than on the top.

Thanks for all your replies. I always get good feedback from this forum.

I had no idea that the piece shown in the picture going into the pvc trap was screwed into the assembly from the top side until one of you mentioned it above. Once I realized this, I put thread tape around the top of this piece and screwed it tight in the assembly. This did the trick.

When I took the assembly out of the box, it was already screwed together so I automatically thought it was one piece.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back