Navien Tankless Water Heater Recall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Navien tankless water heaters are being recalled that pose a carbon monoxide poisoning risk to homeowners.

Navien, a South Korean company with a California distributor, is recalling about 13,000 instantaneous or tankless water heaters because of a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

An unstable connection can cause the water heater's vent collar to separate or detach if pressure is applied, causing carbon monoxide leaks, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Tankless water heaters are being promoted as a green piece of home equipment that can save consumers significant amounts of energy and money by eliminating the need to heat stored water.

The recalled tankless water heaters were sold by wholesale distributors to in-home installers nationwide from February 2008 to March 2009 for between $1,500 and $2,100. They are described as follows:

Navien tankless hot water heaters are white with "T-Creator" and "NAVIEN" on the front. Recalled model numbers are CR-180(A), CR-210(A), CR-240(A), CC-180(A), CC-210(A) and CC-240(A) manufactured in 2008. A label on the side of the water heater lists the model number along with the manufacturing year in YYYY format.

Consumers can schedule a free repair but should not use their water heaters in the meantime; the company also recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors outside the sleeping areas of homes.

For more information, contact Navien at (800) 244-8202 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or visit navienamerica.com.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-...nkless-water-heater-recall-2012#ixzz2JwIiiAHw

It seems to me that *any* space with *any* fuel-burning appliance should have a CO detector installed.

(King of overkill speaking. I hope this suggestion doesn't make it into any building code, but it makes sense to me.)

Latest posts

Back