Hot water in Toilet tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimball

Reaction score
I recently noticed the tank in 1 of my 3 bathrooms fills with hot water. Not warm water HOT water! I live in Montana a relatively dry climate. To the best of my knowledge there isn't an anti sweat valve, if there is it's buried in the wall. I read that a faulty shower cartridge could be the culprit. I wanted to try to prove this theory before buying a new cartridge. Not being a plumber I concluded by running the shower wide open with hot water while flushing and filling the tank multiple times would eventually produce cold water in the tank. It didn't. So my question is, is it possible that a faulty shower cartridge would allow hot water to flow all the way to the toilet? I believe the hot and cold lines run from the crawl space were the hotwater heater is located to the bathroom then t-off to the shower, sink, and toilet. It may be possible that my clothes washer is t-off of the same hot and cold lines. In the bathroom I turned the hot and cold lines off under the sink, while trying my "test" with the shower cartridge. Anyhow I ramble... if anyone has a suggestion or can provide quantifiable evidence that it's not my shower cartridge it would be appreciated. If anyone can offer a suggestion other the replace the flapper, anti sweat valve, or call a plumber that would be awesome!

I admit my first guess is that someone goofed and hooked the toilet to the hot water instead of cold. Maybe there had been a lavatory (sink) there before and whoever hooked it up used the wrong water supply?

I really don't know. I'm not an expert.

It would be best to test for the cross over with the stop valves off to the shower if there are any on the valve body or in an access panel. By removing the cover plate you could see if there are any stops for the hot and cold.
Another way is if you can get you hand on the cold supply pipe to the shower valve and have somebody flush the toilet (without the shower being on, of course) and feel if the cold supply pipe gets hot indicating hot water crossing over to the cold side.
You can do this test for any fixture in the house that is single handled and may have a bad cartridge.

Back