sub metering

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamas

Reaction score
Hi
I have 10 new houses in one lot (associated) in Los Angeles
I am designing/building
I think I need to bring 2" CWP and devide to (10) 1" sub feed to each house through sub/tenant -meters.

Any objection?

tanx

I'm really not trying to sound like a smart a$$ here so please see what I say for it's value from a plumbing professional.
If you are designing and building 10 new houses and you come to a plumbing forum to find out what size service you need then you are doing work outside of your skill set and experience and no good can come from it.
You should already have contacted and built relationships with the appropriate local governing authorities and consulted engineers or architects or designers or somebody other than somebody on a plumbing forum.
Too many times we see on this site people who fight with plan developers who provide homes that are inadequate and poorly thought out. It costs everybody more money and frustration in the long run.
People invest their life savings in new homes and find out it was treated like a DIY project by an inexperienced builder and it's not fair to the new owners who are typically left with no resources outside of calling a lawyer.
There are so many factors that you have left out in order to answer your question that it is obvious to me that you shouldn't be doing this without professional on-sight consultants and contractors.

I'm really not trying to sound like a smart a$$ here so please see what I say for it's value from a plumbing professional.
If you are designing and building 10 new houses and you come to a plumbing forum to find out what size service you need then you are doing work outside of your skill set and experience and no good can come from it.
You should already have contacted and built relationships with the appropriate local governing authorities and consulted engineers or architects or designers or somebody other than somebody on a plumbing forum.
Too many times we see on this site people who fight with plan developers who provide homes that are inadequate and poorly thought out. It costs everybody more money and frustration in the long run.
People invest their life savings in new homes and find out it was treated like a DIY project by an inexperienced builder and it's not fair to the new owners who are typically left with no resources outside of calling a lawyer.
There are so many factors that you have left out in order to answer your question that it is obvious to me that you shouldn't be doing this without professional on-sight consultants and contractors.

I am not asking for engineering help
re-read my questiopn
it is about sub metering

I am not asking for engineering help
re-read my questiopn
it is about sub metering
I reread your post and I agree that it was unclear as to what my answer was. So my answer is "yes". I do object.
My explanation to you should also reread by you and johnjo also has a good point. Hopefully you have permissions from the local water purveyor.
I thi k tnat sub metering is a racket and only utility companies who can be held accountable should provide life necessities.

Last edited:
Would you tell me what chart to use for sizing copper water supply pipe to each unit in 7-unit apartment

I agree whole heartedly with my fellow plumbers comments.

but, since i am know to be a radical. I will give you the information you ask for.

it can be found in the 2014 edition of the
Uniform Plumbing Code Book/manual

you have not provide a tenth of the data needed to calculate the size piping.

you can find one on amazon

Ok I am a pipeline contractor just outside LA and work there often. If these are all homes the DWP or whatever water district you are in will not allow you to run one meter then split off to sun meters for each. You will likely have to run a new 3/4" water service for each home from the main in the street.

The only way you can do one and split is if they all have the same address and only one of them is a home, the rest are just building on your property. Or if it is an apartment building.

These are 7- buildings with separate addresses in one lot
I am planing to install a 1" 7- valve manifold on the main 2" water supply pipe after the main meter and its associates.

Would this work???
Tanx

How did you manage to swing different addresses all on one parcel? Unless you just added an A,B,C after your address?

At any rate If they truly have different addresses I am sure the district is going to require you to have separate meters. Have you talked to them at all? It is far out of the normal for them to approve a 2" water service to a residence.

If it is all kosher than yes a manifold after the 2" meter and RPDA ASSY would likely work fine. In commercial strip malls we will come off the 2" meter and RP with a 2" main line running through the property and tee off for each building with a 1" or 3/4" and meter if necessary.

Back