Cast Iron Waste Line Help Needed!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handymanmac

Reaction score
I need advice for the below picture. The waste line plugged up and the clog couldn't be cleared. So I am now gutting the bathroom. (The house is from 1915 but we were told it was remodeled in 1948.) The sink and toilet lines are galvanized and the main line is cast iron. Above the "T" in the vent line for the sink, plain 2" steel was used. It completely rotted away and filled the line with debris. My question is can I snap the cast iron at the elbow where it comes out of the wall and transition to PVC with a Fernco? The main line was scoped and it was in good shape. If I snap the cast iron i wont have to destroy the old plaster walls to try and repair the toilet and sink lines.

Thanks in advance for the help.

003.jpg

The best way would be to cut the 4" cast iron behind the hub and re-pipe from there. That lead bend will be the next thing to go. Use a banded coupling on the 4" to convert to PVC. Can't see what you have in the wall but that can also be cut and using a banded coupling that to can become PVC. What is the open 2 x 1-1/2" tee for? Here is a link to banded couplings. They are far better then rubber fernco.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings

John

If you change it all, as you should do then that will become PVC also. I think space will become your biggest problem. You can reduce the line to 3" which will help. Just put a 4 x 3" flush bushing into the 4" banded coupling.

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back