Mechanical Damper?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
I am replacing a 40 gal gas water heater. The current tank has a standing pilot that has a mechanical damper hooked up to the flue. The flue comes off the tank with 3" for about 2' and then opens up to the 4" metal stack that runs through a chase in the first floor, to the attic and out the roof. The water heater is the only thing using this stack because the furnace is 90+ direct vent.

Can I eliminate the mechanical damper with the new HWT? In other words, what purpose is it serving?

Tanks.

Not sure why you would want to eliminate it. It only works when the burner comes on and blocks wind from coming in when the burner is not operating.

I am replacing a 40 gal gas water heater. The current tank has a standing pilot that has a mechanical damper hooked up to the flue. The flue comes off the tank with 3" for about 2' and then opens up to the 4" metal stack that runs through a chase in the first floor, to the attic and out the roof. The water heater is the only thing using this stack because the furnace is 90+ direct vent.

Can I eliminate the mechanical damper with the new HWT? In other words, what purpose is it serving?

Tanks.

The idea is to stop heated air from leaving the house but i don't feel much escapes from the water heater. It would be different on a overhead garage heater with a 4 or 5" hole near the ceiling.
PS. Tankless water heaters are a joke. You'll never recover the unit cost in energy savings.
Retired Sears HVAC Tech, Dennis........
Self-employed: DennisHoover.com

Latest posts

Back