Does my washer drain even have a p-trap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eselick

Reaction score
Hi
I leave in Canada and I don't think p-trap's are required in washing machine drains. I'm getting intermittent sewer smells coming out of the drainage pipe and wonder how to check to see if there even is a p-trap. The drain pipe is about the same height of the washer.
Any ideas?
Thanks

I am not knowledgeable on Canadian code, but I would be very surprised if there were not a trap required on any attachment to the sewer system.

I know that Florida code does not allow a laundry to drain onto the ground, it must drain to the sewer/septic, but it is done sometimes.

You could tie a weight firmly to a string and lower it down the pipe until it reaches bottom. If it comes back out wet, you probably have a trap on it.

I can vouch for Canadian code and I know for 100% fact you need a trap on any directly connected drain to a sewer system.

Now I'm wondering if it does have a trap, why am I getting the sewer smell out of the pipe?

Sometimes sludge builds up in the traps. If its not accessible you could use an enzyme. That'll usually help eat away at some of the sludge. I know that I've saw plenty of p traps underground up here for laundry drains. I don't think it's allowed anymore but there are some still in service.

Latest posts

Back