Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Galvanized Pipes Mixed With Copper Pipes?

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
lowrey83

Default Galvanized Pipes Mixed With Copper Pipes?

I'm definitely a novice when it comes to things like this so please bear with me. We bought our 1956 slab on grade home 2 years ago. From doing some remodeling I've noticed that in at least 3 spots in the house (washer, shower, outside spigot) has copper water pipe coming up through the slab and supplying water. However when opening some small spots in our drywall I've also noticed that in the wall sections I will sometimes find sections of galvanized piping used to provide water (hot and cold on sinks etc) but I've of course never seen the galvanized piping coming out of the slab. Was it normal to sometimes use galvanized pipes for certain sections when what I'm assuming (based on seeing the copper coming in out of the slab on 2-3 occasion) is copper that is ran under the slab?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
lowrey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
I have never seen screw pipe in the slab. most places, any joints are illegal nder the slab.

in my opinion, repipe the house, abandon the old gal. pipe.

it will get pin holes an leak. surprised it is not already

you can ck and see if it is. turn off everything in the house...look at our meter,,,it has a little red diamond wheel..see if it moves

if it does, your using water
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "screw pipe"

Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

Liked 1844 Times on 1573 Posts
Likes Given: 381

galvanized pipes were used for many years, in locations like hose bib nipples, water heater, washer boxs

anytime you see gal.pipe. replace it with brass threaded nipples or copper.. if your house is piped with copper

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Old 01-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

screw pipe...means any threaded pipe. like galvinised, or black steal.

i realised your post said NO galvinised pipe under the slab,,and deleted my answer....looks like you were quicker than me...cause you saw it

it was only up for 3 seconds..

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link

Old 01-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
lowrey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
screw pipe...means any threaded pipe. like galvinised, or black steal.

i realised your post said NO galvinised pipe under the slab,,and deleted my answer....looks like you were quicker than me...cause you saw it

it was only up for 3 seconds..
Haha no problem man, I appreciate the help. I know this is a stupid question but it's a safe bet to say that if I'm seeing spots where copper is coming up from the slab that it means the entire home is copper under the slab right?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

I would assume that. yes. in your remodels, look behind the bathroom sink in the wall, or behind the tub valve

you should see a manifold of copper lines. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC104592.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	7094 should look kind of like that

use this link

Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

this is what it looks like under your house Click image for larger version

Name:	10942const03.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	7095

use this link

Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
lowrey83

Ok thanks, yeah the only copper I've seen so far have been for example, 2 separate lines coming up from the slab providing hot and cold for the clothes washer, 2 separate lines coming up from the slab for the hot/cold on the bath (then using a connector extended up to the shower head) and 1 single line coming up from the slab for an outside water spigot. I guess I haven't ran across the main manifold yet then.

I guess that kind of brings me back to what I was wondering. If the house is copper under the slab, why wouldn't they have just done copper in some of the walls instead of using galvanized?

Last edited by lowrey83; 01-20-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

picture. then i can see wth your talking about. all i see is a cat playing with his tail.
Cartoon-Man-Yelling1.jpg  

use this link

Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
frodo
Just call me Macgyver

main manifold for your bath sounds like its behind the lav....with a line run to the tub

probably the same in your other bathroom. and most likely one behind the water heater

use this link