Where to backflush softener and filter?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabloguitar

Reaction score
My water softener and water filter each drain into my ejector pit in the basement which is finished. I'm concerned that one day my ejector pump will fail and it will happen at 2:00 am when the softener or filter are backflushing large amounts of water. Would it be Ok to route these backflush lines up and into a utility sink in the garage, thus eliminating the potential for a bad ejector pump from ruining the finished basement? It is not an option to run these to the regular sump pit with battery back-up due to the regular sump pit is at the other end of the basement.
Thank you!

Many softeners and other backwashable filters use the drain line not only to backwash the unit, but to also draw brine and potassium permangenate by means of a nozzle and venturi which uses water pressure to operate. If you run those lines up too far, you can stop the draw process by adding head to the system. Also, most companies I have dealt with mention using larger than standard tubing if your running the lines any distance because of the friction loss which will also add head. Head is pressure or backpressure.

Latest posts

Back