Septic Tank Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmrardin

Reaction score
I have a concrete tank which leaks from underneath the lid. Basically what is happening is that whenever water goes down the drain, a stream of water flows out of the tank. The water coming from the tank doesn't smell and there are no other problems with the plumbing inside, nor is there any saturation on other parts of the ground.

Will a simple pumping fix the leak? Could it be worse?

Just pumping the tank will not fix the leak.
The best way to fix a leak like you have is to, remove the lid, clean the edge where the lid sets, and use cement or tar to seal the lid back down.
Depending on the size tank you have, it could weigh as much as 300lbs or more.

If water comes out of the lid, water will also leak in. Witch in turn, puts more strain on the system.

Travis

Also, I have to wonder why the fluid level in the tank is even reaching the seam between the tank and the lid. Makes me think that for some reason the effluent is either not making it out of the tank to the drainfield, or if it is, the drainfield is not percolating properly.

In either case, the lid needs to be sealed to the tank. If not, you are inviting roots to invade and cause mayhem.

Back