valve leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ickysit

Reaction score
I have an old gas shut off valve that has a small leak coming from the back plate. I used soapy water and found that a bubble fills from the back plate when the valve is open. The valve is not leaking from the threads. This valve seems to have a spring assembly and a bolt that holds the back plate on. Can this valve be disassembled and seals replaced or is it toast?

10718289_10101036770191406_1470786391_o.jpg

10720871_10101036770366056_2070857496_o.jpg

Just remove the antique valve and replace it with a new valve. They are only about $7.00 when purchased new at all big box hardware stores.

Reactions: SHR
I should have posted a newer picture because the valve no longer has the reduction, it is connected to a t and 15 ft of black pipe that runs
under a crawl space and porch and feeds a underground line to a garage 50 ft away. Ill probably break the piping back to this valve to replace it but still would like to know if the valve has replaceable seals.

i recommend that you dont screw around with gas. have the valve replaced. when you remov the valve use a back up wrench so the pipe does not move or start to unthread. also if you have natural gas going to the house the gas line should be galvinized pipe not black iron.

i recommend that you dont screw around with gas. have the valve replaced. when you remov the valve use a back up wrench so the pipe does not move or start to unthread. also if you have natural gas going to the house the gas line should be galvinized pipe not black iron.

Over here in cali ,its ok to use black iron on natural gas

1413664771182.jpg

It is weird, all of the different opinions on galvanized or black steel. I have taken some pretty heavy grief when I have shared pictures of galvanized gas piping other places on the interwebs. Some feel that the galvanized will flake off the ID of the pipe and clog orifices. I haven't heard of any instances of that actually happening, and some areas require galvanized outdoors, so I still use it a lot.

Perhaps I should rephrase everything. How does this old valve work and why is there a hex head bolt in the back?

I hear the same thing phish. In Cali the UPC says black iron wrapped with 20 mil( I use 10 mil twice cause it's earlier to wrap) but I had a guy tell me you can't use galv so I explained to him galv is just black iron that has a galv treatment. To me it's just extra protection for the pipe. A real no brainier. But then I also use fletcher coated a lot too. Anyway I hadn't been on in awhile so that's my 2 cents while waiting for my chiro Appt

The answer to the original question I had was turn off gas main disassemble valve clean, regrease, valve taper, and lengthen spring a bit. Works perfect no leak. There is no union near this valve so I would have had to cut the pipe out, put a union in, cut and thread two new pipes to replace the valve.

Congratulations! You have a rebuilt bad gas valve! Make sure your insurance is paid up, tell your loved ones you love them often and apologize to your neighbors because you did not feel like doing the job right and their home blew up too. Good luck with all of that.

Back