Washer standpipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisds02

Reaction score
There are a couple issues with the current standpipe setup. From the pictures I clearly don't have a p trap. Based on the sewer line being vertical and about 4 feet from the ground I don't know how to do it so it is to code.

So one issue is the smell, not too concerned because it's very mild, but I know a p trap would help. My other more concerning issue is the constant breeze that I get into the basement. The negative degree weather is really making it worse.

I attached pictures of the setup hoping to get some sort of resolution. Thank you in advance for the help.

IMG_20180107_111126476.jpg

IMG_20180107_111105624.jpg

IMG_20180107_111102105.jpg

Yeah, that's pretty funny and sad all in one package.

What is coming into that on the horizontal before the wye?
to be code compliant is probably not feasibly possible, but to eliminate/trap the sewer gases your going to need a p-trap.
Replace the wye with a combo fitting. stack a santee on top of the combo with a p-trap into the sanitary tee. raise the top of the santee and install an AAV.
add a 3-4 ft stand pipe on the p-trap. gonna be a bit taller than normal.
Gonna make your washer work a bit harder to pump out but it is what it is

cxcx.jpg

Last edited:
The left leads to the kitchen sink.

That set up will help with the draft coming down the pipe?

Also, above pipe above the p-trap, how short can that be? The vertical pipe is about 50" from the ground and I believe its 55" maximum height for the washer drain pipe. But what do I know.

Oh I didn't notice the 3-4ft stand pipe. That would be about 8ft from the ground, ceiling height is about 6.5ft, so even if the washer could push it up 8 ft I couldn't do it.

If I did 6-12 inch stand pipe above the p trap, is that useless for my purpose?

Last edited:
Just put the standpipe as high as you can. Like mentioned above it isn't code your just trying to fix your trap issue.

If you do it like Mr Dave said make sure you test it. Start out with a small load of water and work your way up to the largest load. That 11/2 in p-trap may be to small to handle all that water pressure from the machine and run over. You may have to come out with 3" pipe and fittings. You may have to make the stand pipe higher and put an extension on the drain hose.

First I have to point out that you have made the 4" clean-out go away.
I recommend adding a full sized clean-out or you will end up sorry if you have to snake the line at a later date. That is why the clean-out is there.

I recommend you do use 2" for the laundry drain set-up.
I owned a house where that kind of laundry set up was in place and it worked for years, but as TomFOhio notes, use evaluative methodology.

God damn that is awful and illegal at some time. It has to have p trap and can't be plumbed like that you better off sticking hose outside and letting it drain

I know it's a mess. I rather just not touch it, but clearly I have to.

I might just go overkill the first time and do as Mr. David said but with a larger pipe to ensure it will drain properly
. I would hate to have to do it twice. I'm also thinking raising the washer is going to be required to put in the p trap in. The sewer line is just way too high

Back