Weird Pump Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarine0120

Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal I bought some land that had a reservoir and well pump already on it. Ever since we put our house here and started using the well we have had nothing but issues. The primary problem is that the 3/4 hp pump keeps ejecting itself off the houses feed pipe. The first time I went down and looked at it, it had one clamp on it so I put on two and it worked for a month or so but not it is back to its old ways. I have changed the flexible piping with hard pvc hoping that would work better and it did for a month or so before blowing it off again. This time however when I go down there the pump is running but when I turn off power to hook it back into the pipe it wont come on for a longgggg time before blowing it off the pipe again.

How can one fix the problem of the pump blowing off the pipe I am now up to three clamps with no luck. Also is the pump the wrong type the reservoir is only 600 gallons and the pump pretty much touches the bottom of it but it has to push water about 300 ft mostly uphill. And why does it take so long to come back on is there a fail-safe that is causing this.

Sorry to be so full of questions but I am getting a bit tired of having to screw with my well.

Does the clamp hold the hose onto a barbed fitting, or smooth pipe?

I am not all that keen on hose clamps as an attachment method for pressure pumps to start with.

You need the extra long brass or Stainless barb connectors so you have plenty of room for two or three clamps. But you could just have a water hammer issue. Try removing any check valves in the system except for the one that is on the submersible pump. This will eliminate water hammer on pump start. Or since it is a plastic barb fitting you could have a heat problem if the pump is running dry or not shutting off when it should.

How high is the hill. Sounds like your static pressure, that is the head of water between the pump and house is high. If your house is say 150' vertical above the pump then the static head would be 65 psig. Add dynamic pressure, that is the pump discharge pressure and you might be exceeding the working pressure of the fitting.

I believe you have a jet pump from your description and you said the switch is with the tank at the house. So did you mean that the pump and switch are separated by several hundred feet? If so, that could be a large part of the problem. Water hammer from the pump kicking on and off rapidly when the tank fills could be enough to beat the pipe off the barb fitting. And plastic fittings are not the approved method. You need to get the pump and switch next to one another along with the tank.

You need to get the pump and switch next to one another along with the tank.

The pump doesn't care where the tank is. That would not make any difference. The switch and the tank are the ones that need to stay together.
{As far as water hammer is concerned)

The hill is about 30 ft higher than the well and it is a submersible pump not a jet pump I was debating whether or not to put in a jet pump. I used the stainless steel barb which actually has only one fitting on it right now and its working fine it seems for the time being we will see what happens in a couple weeks I guess.

Now when I say 30 ft I am talking about overall raise in elevation the pipe is actually close to 300 ft.

Can you post some images regarding this issue as we are having some problems regarding the same issue as discussed above..?

I agree with metal fittings also heat black pipe w propane torch before tightening clamps and use 4 clamps make sure pump does not jump aroumd

Latest posts

Back