Stacked bushings allowed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g3e3r3d

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not a plumber (which will be obvious when I pose my question). I've been asked to move an expansion tank connection from one side of a circulation pump on a glycol hydronic boiler system to the other side of the pump. I'm in a remote location with no stores nearby but happen to have two brass bushings that will work (ie reducing from 1-1/2" copper pipe to 1" and then from 1" to 1/2"). Is it code/acceptable to stack bushings?
Thanks!

In my locale, such a fitting arrangement would be perfectly acceptable. As far as moving the expansion tank, I don't really know if that is allowable or not.

So the plot thickens. It sounds like it is allowed in some places but not others. Phishfood, are you in the U.S.? Would something like stacked bushings be allowed in one state but not another?

Very possible. In fact, what is commonplace and totally acceptable on the jobsite that I am on is absolutely not allowed in the area of Walt Disney World, so it can vary even within some states.

Threaded bushing reducers are disallowed period in gas piping systems in my state, with some semi-sound rationale behind that rule, but are allowed in water piping systems. So, in your case, I would probably use what you have.

I would, however, be interested in other's reasons why it isn't a good idea. Never to old to learn new tricks.

I actually don't know WHy it is against code here, but I have had a couple of customers tell me about dickish inspectors that have made them rip doubled bushings out. Probably the same guys that won't allow a street elbow into a boiler but can't tell anyone why.

Latest posts

Back