basement bath

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erndog02

Reaction score
Hi I am looking into the future for a basement bathroom and possible kitchen. My sewer outlet is 3 ft high on the wall. I am a hard core do it yourselfer(cringe) and am not worried about cutting the slab and running the pipe but I am curious about your experience with how well sewage pumps/grinders work.thanks in advance

I'm going to guess that the invert elevation of the waste line is below the slab, are you sure that what you see "about 3' above the floor" isn't a cleanout?
Are there floor drains in your basement?

My house is on a sloped hill and the builder(back in the 50's) put the main sewer drain elevated 3 feet above the basement floor. I dug out a tree behind the house and found the main sewer line(3 inch hard plastic pipe, probably pvc) below the root ball. This pipe was in direct line between the pipe exiting the basement and where the city's records say I connect into the sewer system. the pipe was a good 3 feet below grade at that point. I am including a pic of the clean-out/ exiting pipe

sewer line.jpg

And as far as drains in basement, only one that is a standing pipe in laundry room. it stands vertical about 2.5 feet tall. I have been draining washer into it with no probs so far. I'm guessing it drops into weeping drain system. The basement is on grade(to right of pic) and has an asphalt slab out the door. I dug into it for a post at one time and found a layer of 1 inch rock under it, the rock layer seemed to be about 2 feet deep.

Effluent pumps work fine. I have install several of them just make sure you install gate valves on both sides for any future repairs and also run a vent.

Back