This little gem got dropped in my lap yesterday

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of pictures of the area we will be working in to install 4"', 6", 8", 10", & 12" storm and sanitary drainage piping.

ForumRunner_20130606_190137.jpg

ForumRunner_20130606_190308.jpg

Do you still want to come help, Chris?

Last edited:
There are apartment units above this that we will be running drainage, condensate drains, water mains, and water heater pan drain piping for.ForumRunner_20130606_192017.jpg
This is a shot of the ramp in the parking garage area. Yes, there are apartment units above that ramp. I am thinking that a boom lift will be the weapon of choice for that.

ForumRunner_20130606_192036.jpg

Last edited:
Guys who have always done commercial concrete work should not be turned loose with angle drills in a wood frame building. I had two guys who SHOULD know their way around this stuff with them, and I gave them several talks on how to drill (pull ALL the nails), but they still tore these brand new bits up really quick. Lucky I kind of enjoy sharpening bits.

ForumRunner_20130623_115823.jpg

ForumRunner_20130623_115906.jpg

When I was doing new work up north that is the bit that we used. We had them in sizes up to 4-5/8. The drill of choice to use those bits in was the Black & Decker hole hog. That drill had a clutch so if the bit hung up the drill didn't throw you off the ladder. :D

I was always partial to the Milwaukee HoleHawg without clutch myself, because I get really tired of the clutch letting loose all of the time while you are eating through a knot. If you use the 3/4" pipe handle threaded into the side of the drill, and rest the trigger handle against a stud, you can actually shut that motor down when the bit binds up, but it will still eat through knots or this really hard southern yellow pine stuff that passes for lumber down here. I liked the Black & Decker Timberwolf for bits 2 9/16" and smaller, as the motor in that drill has more power and will run those smaller bits in high speed.

That all changed when I met the Milwaukee Super Hawg. Where the Hole Hawg and the TimberWolf turn at 300 RPM in low speed, the Super Hawg turns at 450 RPM, and the motor has more power that either of the others. High speed is something like 1400 RPM, more than the other two at 1100 or 1200. And the motor still has the power to spin the 2 9/16" at high speed. If I could figure out how to tighten the clutch up a little bit, it would be the perfect drill.

I was always partial to the Milwaukee HoleHawg without clutch myself, because I get really tired of the clutch letting loose all of the time while you are eating through a knot. If you use the 3/4" pipe handle threaded into the side of the drill, and rest the trigger handle against a stud, you can actually shut that motor down when the bit binds up, but it will still eat through knots or this really hard southern yellow pine stuff that passes for lumber down here. I liked the Black & Decker Timberwolf for bits 2 9/16" and smaller, as the motor in that drill has more power and will run those smaller bits in high speed.

That all changed when I met the Milwaukee Super Hawg. Where the Hole Hawg and the TimberWolf turn at 300 RPM in low speed, the Super Hawg turns at 450 RPM, and the motor has more power that either of the others. High speed is something like 1400 RPM, more than the other two at 1100 or 1200. And the motor still has the power to spin the 2 9/16" at high speed. If I could figure out how to tighten the clutch up a little bit, it would be the perfect drill.

The Super Hawg cam out long after I moved south. I also miss spoke. It was the Timber Wolf that we were using. We tried using the Hole Hawg but there was a gear in there that would snap when using it on high speed with the 2-9/16 bits.

John, in 1984 my grandfather bought my dad and my uncle each a Timber Wolf angle drills. My uncle worked for the maintenance department for the city and my dad was in business for himself plumbing. We still use my dads drill almost every day and the only things that have been replaced are the brushes and worn out power cords! My uncles drill is in new condition and he just handed it down to me last week, which I am pretty excited about! I don't know what it is about my dads drill but it seems to be invincible. We will see if the one I just got will last as long.

The other funny thing about it is that we also have a newer yellow dewalt drill that looks the same but newer, but that thing has been rebuilt several times.

About ten years after that, I got into the trade. I am pretty sure that Black and Decker was still Black & Decker, not Bad Dewalt. I got to use a few of the TimberWolf drills back then, I don't ever recall having a problem with them. The newer Dewalts, well, not so good.

This project has kept me so busy that I have not had time while onsite to take much in the way of pictures.

Here are a couple of some of the overhead piping in the garage.

ForumRunner_20130927_082308.jpg

ForumRunner_20130927_082323.jpg

Latest posts

Back