Persistent Drain problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveleb

Reaction score
I continue to have a bathroom sink that gets clogged up at least once a year. The sink shares a drain that is connected to the a/c condensation line not the over flow.
Any suggestions?

If it is not in the drain body underneath the sink or in the P trap, I would suspect backfall on the drain pipe that serves the sink, or some obstruction in the pipe (razor blade, construction debris, etc).

Around 10 months ago I had a plumber come out and clean the drain. Then is started again two or three days ago. I don't know what could be causing the same problem so soon.

Hydro-jetters are the preferred tools of plumbers who want to provide a full cleansing to a drain. Hydro-jesters are devices that place scalding hot water under tremendous pressure and then blast it out through a nozzle on a hose that reaches down inside drainpipes. The scouring action clears away clogs but also eliminates build-up along the pipe interior. This does an effective job of wiping away grease, fat, and other food particles that can coat the inside of pipes. Hydro-jetting needs the work of trained plumbers because of the potential danger from the high pressure water.

Hydro-jetters are the preferred tools of plumbers who want to provide a full cleansing to a drain. Hydro-jesters are devices that place scalding hot water under tremendous pressure and then blast it out through a nozzle on a hose that reaches down inside drainpipes. The scouring action clears away clogs but also eliminates build-up along the pipe interior. This does an effective job of wiping away grease, fat, and other food particles that can coat the inside of pipes. Hydro-jetting needs the work of trained plumbers because of the potential danger from the high pressure water.

If it's a 1 1/2 or 2 inch line, a cable is more effective against hair and hard blockages. Hydro jetters excel at grease and sludgy debris in pipes that small.

make sure the plumber is using the right machine for the job. if he is using a little hand crank snake that is not the proper way to clean the line. i use a spartan 100 machine to clean lav lines and it works great. i disagree that hydro jetting does not work. it will definatley clean out the pipe.

One more time the drain is clogged up when I use a plunger what I get up I a black looking stuff that looks like mud and a white looking like tissue paper. I had a clog buster out around two years ago and now it's back. First thing tomorrow I will call a plume to come out. This is the drain for a upstairs bathroom sink
All the other sinks in the house drain fine including the toilets

Well your not gonna get mud upstairs and it could be just sludge your getting out

Do you have someone in the house who puts on a mud mask and then washes it off in the sink?

Maybe someone is putting stuff into the sink that shouldn't go.

Another possibility is that the plumber missed something when cleaning it out. have you taken apart the trap to check in the trap and see if any crud is staying in it?

Also, is it possible the sink's pipes are not properly sloped so debris might be sticking inside them instead of being flushed out?

No on the mud mask Yes I have taken the p trap and it is full of stuff mud looking and tissue looking soft junk could the stuff be a form og age caused by the ac drain

No on the mud mask Yes I have taken the p trap and it is full of stuff mud looking and tissue looking soft junk could the stuff be a form og age caused by the ac drain

Hmm... Maybe someone accidentally dropped tissues or toilet paper into the sink and it went down? That could have caused dirt to build up. Not sure if the AC would be draining stuff like that.

If you have kids it's possible one of them has been stuffing things in the sink that they shouldn't be.

Are you in a home or condo? is there a sink behind your sink? Ac unit is not going to leave black sludge. It will be a slime or calcium

Latest posts

Back