running out of ideas, kitchen sink clog

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrain

Reaction score
I have a 1 basin kitchen sink that's clogged.

hooked to a dishwasher.

I had the main line cleaned by roto rooter about 3 months ago.

All other drains work properly and flush...no backup at basement floor drain....all is well.

if i run water, it starts to fill up the disposal and overflow back into the sink after running the water for about 15-20 seconds.

p-trap is clean and it seems the garbage disposal is clean.

I have removed all pvc from p-trap, and past p-trap to where the pvc runs into the wall to the main drain.

this is where the clog seems to be as i ran draino into this line and it backed up.

ran a 15 ft snake all the way into the pipe several times. It did not feel like there were any obstructions

WHen i remove it , there is no debris on the end but a little black sludge.

What could be causing this blockage?

Am I missing something?

curious....if I can get a snake 15ft into the pipe, why can i turn the water on and have it overflowing in 15 seconds? Seems like it would need to take longer to backup if there's a minimum of 15 feet of pipe to fill first.

Could the dishwasher have something to do with this?

I haven't ran it as I'm worried of overflow and backup.

I saw this clogbuster gadget at ace hardware, is that a good tool to try?

any of help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

You need to cal Roto Rooter back, and tell them you again have a clog in the main line. I know they offer a warranty on all their work, but don't know for how long. And please let them know you used Drano.

if there was a clog in the main line, would i not get backups anytime i used other drains or flushed the toilets?

hey Phishfood,

to clarify, is the branch drain line the drain line i'm snaking?

past the kitchen sink p-trap that heads to the main line in the basement?

just want to make sure.

I'd rather tackle this myself and not bring roto rooter back as they made a complete mess of my house when they were here.

they tracked debris all over the place

Yes, that is the kitchen branch line.

To do a proper snaking job, you will need a power snake with the proper sized cable, a couple of different sized heads (one of those just under the inner diameter of the pipe), a method of running water through the line while you are snaking it, and the know how to run the snake in a way that does a good job of cleaning the line and keeps you from getting hurt.

For drain cleaning, you will usually be ahead to have a professional in. Find a local company that specializes in drain cleaning. A real professional will not leave a mess behind them, I go to great lengths to keep my customer's house clean. Not to say that there are no dedicated professionals working for RR, there probably are, but they have a rather bad name in the trade.

Got another problem...

I was able to free the clog with a longer, 25ft snake....running hot water thru it now...thanks for the help and advice, it helped me solve my first problem!!

But I noticed I have a small leak coming from the garbage disposal (see attached pic)

I have this silicone sealant...will it possibly seal that slow leak?

http://www.gatzies.com/p-57319-ge-98-oz-silicone-ii-kitchen-bath-caulk-clear.aspx

If not, would plumber's putty seal it?

Looks like I'll have to go all the way around it because with this being a 2 piece design, if I just patch the small leak, it'll probably just worm it's way over to another area and drip down.

garbage disposal leak.jpg

No! putty and silicon will not seal that leak. You are correct it will just worm it's way around. Time for a new disposal.

Latest posts

Back