Delta Shower "Plug" popped out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiantSquid

Reaction score
A few months ago I got a call from my mom saying the plug thing (I don't know the real term) had popped out of its hole and water would come out through it.

The way the shower works is that on top you have a ball faucet that you push up to turn on the water and then turn it left or right for hot or cold. Below that is a plunger type metal stick that you would press in to turn on the shower mode. Below that is the faucet head where the water comes out normally and below that is the plug that says whether or not the drain is plugged.

The metal stick thing had popped out and all the water was coming out through that small hole instead. I still have the metal stick and the spring but I have no idea how to get it back in or if it can be fixed easily.

I have 0 experience with plumbing or fixing appliances of any kind. I do have pictures but are unable to upload them at the moment. Based off what I just said would anyone know how to fix it or if it can be fixed by someone with no experience?

Thats a diverter. Remove the handle by loosening the allen set screw on the bottom of the handle. Remove the two screws that hold the round cover plate to the wall. Remove the plate. Now you can see that the diverter screws into the main valve body. Remove the diverter with a socket. Go to the home store and get a replacement. Install the new one the same way you removed the old one. Read any directions that come with it.

Goodluck to you.

So I just got the replacement part and its asking me to turn off the water. I managed to turn off the hot water through the water heater but I can't find where the cold water is. Any ideas? I'm in Florida, so no crawl space or basement.

I also checked the black box thats half burried in the ground but there was no lever or nozzel in there. Just a meter.

You do not need to turn the water off to replace the diverter. take the handle off and the trim plate. remove the diverter. Install new diverter. Turn water on and test...turn water off and re-assemble the faucet TRIM. tell yourself you coulda been a plumber.:D Oh there is a stop valve on the street side of the meter......its usuallly a 1/4 turn valve without a handle......:)

Last edited:
You do not need to turn the water off to replace the diverter. take the handle off and the trim plate. remove the diverter. Install new diverter. Turn water on and test...turn water off and re-assemble the faucet TRIM. tell yourself you coulda been a plumber.:D Oh there is a stop valve on the street side of the meter......its usuallly a 1/4 turn valve without a handle......:)

Sorry, I went and edited it since i did find out how to shut off the water. Even if I didn't need to, it was good to know anyways. But yeah...the ball assembly. I can't remove that face plate without getting that off and I'm not sure what tool I need to do it.

Sorry, I went and edited it since i did find out how to shut off the water. Even if I didn't need to, it was good to know anyways. But yeah...the ball assembly. I can't remove that face plate without getting that off and I'm not sure what tool I need to do it.

Is it a metal handle or plastic handle Delta? if its plastic you will need to remove the index button that tells you hot/cold. Then use a screwdriver to remove the screw. Pull the handle off.

If it has a metal handle you will need the proper allen wrench.

You do not need to remove anything else other than the two screws and then the cover plate. The diverter will be right there...use a socket to remove the diverter.

Goodluck to you!

Back